Gold Saum - PROTRUDING ANUS!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I might have made the text sound offended, I did have a rough day at work. I'm sorry still! :) you've got jokesss!! Haha!

I'm sorry Ik meds don't always stain the glass, I guess the silicone is what I meant, I need to be more specific. I siliconed it with clear silicone. I think I'm going to leave the gt in the 10 gal until I have to clean the 10 gal out again, Saturday. Unless something changes, and then maybe bring him into the bigger tank if he's still not eating, BUT..

I come home from work and see these weird things dropping, I look over, whitish Pleco poop...

http://s679.photobucket.com/user/sberg11/media/null_zpsc5116b0b.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

It's not thin, reg sized, but whitish. I haven't fed him a cucumber the last few days, but is that something I should be worried about? If I should, gt is going in tonight after I clean the 75 and I'm just gonna treat that tank.

Good you are smiling again, sorry it won't last long.

Read this thread,
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/plecostomus-has-bloated-stomach-283923.html
Most of it applies here.

Sounds like an infected plec, you may be better off putting all fish in one tank where they are happiest and treating that.

To be honest with you, you don't really notice the stain, it isn't hideous and is no way as dark as the neat meds in the bottle.

Good to hear you are not afraid of silicone.

I think I made some comments elsewhere but I'm trying to locate them now, I may be wrong. In any case plec waste is dark brown.

O.k. Apology accepted (only to keep the peace) :lol:

Ok, read that, cleaned the tank 20% mostly vac, gt is back in. Now since my Pleco has pooped this much.

http://s679.photobucket.com/user/sberg11/media/null_zps0f2310e9.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

That's regular. But still, might as well treat the whole thing.

My favorite gt is starting to perk up already, swimming at the glass at me. And my jack Dempsey seems happier to have his friend back too.

I'm going into town to pick up my sister soon, I'm gonna go check PetSmart, see what they have. Get some peas at walmart, and a cucumber.

And some wine.

I'll let you know what I find and my plan if it changes to see what you, my dear fish friend, thinks about it. :)

Ok, all PetSmart had currently were tetra parasite guard tablets. Any idea about this med or whether I should just keep doing what I'm doing? Can I use the tablets and just try to soak food in the current med and feed medicated food or no? Ik I can't use it in the water column at the same time, just didn't know if feeding med food and different stuff in water column would be different

Fed the pleco some deshelled pea's last night, which he must have enjoyed bc it was gone quick.

I woke up to a cheerful GT:fish2:, swimming back and forth at the glass, I was almost sure he would eat! I soaked garlic cichlid pellets and a pleco algea wafer in the seachem medicated water and dropped the food in. The jack Dempsey ate first, then the GT atleast checked it out, backed away, checked it out, backed away, checked it out, sucked it in an chewed it. So he ate one pellet, atleast that's better than nothing. Pleco started on his wafer before I left for work.

Now it is a waiting game. :whistle: Still deciding whether to keep using what I am using or switch it up this weekend to the tablets I picked up at Petsmart. Today I am supposed to add more meds to the 75 gallon (where the fish are all currently again), but I haven't yet in case I decide to change meds.

Tailless, my firemouth, has been doing fine. I have been feeding him medicated fish food along with the others, and he eats it just fine. Im monitoring everything with him too, but I haven't said much about him because he was removed 1-2 weeks prior to this situation and seems perfectly normal. Just an update for him though anyway.

Trouble with internot (sorry)

Marvellous! "I'm almost sure he would eat" I said only you know your fish! sometimes you have to rely on instinct. That should inspire confidence for you.

Personally, I would complete the current course then you know whatever it covers you can exclude from "what's wrong with my fish" If you shorten the course there is no guarantee it has done its job. Some meds have odd days on dosing to make sure they attack the different life cycle patterns that the covered parasites/bacteria have.

Eating is a good sign in any case, perhaps the saum was putting up a fight with you, like hunger strike. You really must name him now!

Don't forget med removal/recoup phase.

About the plec poo pic, one piece in the upper right looks wrong, it is almost looking like a spring, irregular thickness and colour.
Uniformity in both colour and diameter is a good sign all is ok.

Wine the wonder cure! I'm sure that went well.

The firemouth tail should grow back in time. Just check for any signs of infection, external bac will cover those. You probably won't need to do anything at all.

No tailless has been tailless since before my lfs received him. He will forever be tailless! But I love him for that and that's y I bought him! I have a pic in my profile haha.

Gt seems better still but, HUGE MASSIVE BUT!

http://s679.photobucket.com/user/sberg11/media/null_zpse67f3dc3.jpg.html?filters[user]=99803469&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

Above is a picture of my jack Dempsey now, you should be able to scroll over to see more pics of it and this is an extreme issue. He doesn't seem like it bothers him and he just ate, but what is this painful huge looking thing? I'm assuming still internal parasites but this is red and huge, I haven't seen anything come out of it yet but...

Quick question, was the JD tank dosed with water course meds?

There are at least two types of worm meds that target different types of worms.

Praziquantel, levamisole.

Another I know of is called (waterlife) sterazin but I'm not sure what the active ingredients are, they may be the same as either one of the above. It may be called something different in the USA.

(i have the ingredients for the sterazin, it contains: malachite green 0.08%w/w, formaldehyde 0.2%w/w, piperazine citrate 0.34%w/w and acriflavine hydrochloride 0.055%w/w.) copied online, maybe inaccurate.

Another type with different ingredients.
wormer plus, 50mg/g flubendazole, 0.01% azadiratchin. (Found this too)

Prazi-pro=praziquantel.

Levamisole in this country is vet dispensed, I'm struggling to find it in a store. Vets open Monday except in an emergency. Sterazin on order ((pet store) guy suggested vets for levamisole)
The reason I know this so readily, I'm struggling with one corydoras. I have put to sleep two black neon tetra as I believe they had NTD (supposedly incurable) they didn't respond to internal bacs or parasites. Cory swimming fine, but a lump on her side, I'm trying anything before I kill her, she's a fourth gen. from my first pair.

I wish I was a vet and not a hobby-est!

Yes the jd is in the same tank as the Pleco and the green terror now. When the green terror was in the other tank I was still feeding the jack Dempsey seachem medicated food with garlic such as pellets and bloodworms.

Now there all together except for tailless, and I'm treating whole tank and feeding medicated soaked food with garlic as stated above.

The medication I've been using is seachem metronidazole and it says the active ingredient is metronidazole. -the other medication I bought but haven't switched to yet is the tetra parasite guard, active ingredients: praziquantel, difluben-zuron, metronidazole and acriflavine. Says it removed external and internal parasites including flukes, internal worms and flagellates such as hexamita or spironucleus, also protects against secondary infections.

Both of these medications are the only internal parasite med both my lfs and PetSmart had. So unless I order online or order through them, these are my choices above.

What do u suggest I doooo? He acts ok but with that thing hanging out I don't think it'll last long.... :(

Are you ready?

Yes the jd is in the same tank as the Pleco and the green terror now. When the green terror was in the other tank I was still feeding the jack Dempsey seachem medicated food with garlic such as pellets and bloodworms.

Now there all together except for tailless, and I'm treating whole tank and feeding medicated soaked food with garlic as stated above.

The medication I've been using is seachem metronidazole and it says the active ingredient is metronidazole. -the other medication I bought but haven't switched to yet is the tetra parasite guard, active ingredients: praziquantel, difluben-zuron, metronidazole and acriflavine. Says it removed external and internal parasites including flukes, internal worms and flagellates such as hexamita or spironucleus, also protects against secondary infections.

Both of these medications are the only internal parasite med both my lfs and PetSmart had. So unless I order online or order through them, these are my choices above.

What do u suggest I doooo? He acts ok but with that thing hanging out I don't think it'll last long.... :(

Acriflavine is an antiseptic, it's in most if not all fish meds.
You can't have long left on treatment one, I'm sorry I'm doing my best! I'm actually doing homework! My teachers would be shocked!

ANYONE ELSE YOU CAN HELP US TOO!

Apparently according to seachem website it (metronidazole) is difficult to OD on, If I say start treatment two and things die I will forever feel responsible the reverse of this is also true, however metronidazole is apparent in the ingredients of treatment two. So mixing them cannot have any serious side effects. You are only increasing the level of one ingredient.

Praziquantel is a known treatment for some types of worms.
Diflubenzuron is an insecticide? Not toxic to fish, not sure why that's on the label but hey I'm not a chemist!

How do you feel about Vegas? < another attempt at lifting your spirits. If this fails, more wine!

Given the above, I would do a water change, run carbon overnight to ensure OD cannot happen start treatment two first thing in the morning, continue treated food.

Vegas sounds amazing! Temporarily though, I love the country! :) and I'm drinking wine, so check!

Ok, I will work on this tonight N let uk if I see any changes. Thank you for all of your help. I appreciate it so much! I noticed like 500 people have viewed this thread so many people must be stumped or don't think it'll end well... But either way, it's nice to have someone help you try. Your the best right now!!!! And thank you for lifting my spirits!

Vegas sounds amazing! Temporarily though, I love the country! :) and I'm drinking wine, so check!

Ok, I will work on this tonight N let uk if I see any changes. Thank you for all of your help. I appreciate it so much! I noticed like 500 people have viewed this thread so many people must be stumped or don't think it'll end well... But either way, it's nice to have someone help you try. Your the best right now!!!! And thank you for lifting my spirits!

Awwww thank you very much (it's the wine talking:ROFLMAO:)
You've made my day! :dance:

Worms is a tough one to deal with, without proper faecal analysis it's tough to pick the correct meds.

Still, good luck, keep me posted, and them:wave: keep them posted too!

Haha! I'm only on my first glass. I'm just trying to have high hopes.

I just don't understand where this all came from. All fish were so happy the entire time I've had them without issues. I clean the tank as required test weekly if not more with an API liquid freshwater test kit. No issues.

Now this. The only thing I can think of is plants. I've never had an issue with those either but I used to buy online or PetSmart and I just started buying them at my lfs as they are cheaper. N I don't do anything to them before I put them in the tank, so... I've read up about that since I ordered a plant online recently. I'll have to take the steps to make sure it's safe next time I guess.

Plants can contaminate tanks. The water on them or the roots may harbour eggs/cysts or other nasties.

Fish may seem fine for a couple of months.

You can, and I do, test your tank at current stock level, make notes for each tank, work out routine with water and filter. Stick to it like glue.

Then you can test occasionally. (Weekly-fortnightly) you will build confidence of when to test, after a while you will see the water is off colour. No tests!

When you add new fish, start testing again to factor in additional bio load.
Repeat after significant growth just to be certain everything is A OK.
The notes will assist in formulating a cleaning regime.
This has kept me out of any major trouble for years.

I treat my fish annually for internal bacs and parasites. I treat all new stock as a part of quarantine, It can't do any harm, I can't see these things, I sleep well.
(I do it mainly because of my clown loach)
Fish store laughs, pet shop man laughs, I am resilient, my fish are pretty much ok. Every now and then something happens that surprises me. Normally on aged fish way past suggested life span.
Meds are cheaper than all new stock. That's what I tell them. My dog gets annual treatment for this and that, what's the difference? Silence.

That's the whiskey talking! Cheers(y)

Baha! Thank you for all the info!! And yes those are good ideas, better safe than sorry!!!

And believe it or not that thing isn't hanging from my Dempsey anymore... Idk if it dropped somewhere or went back in...

Anyways I'll keep you updated! =D

If it was bitten off, I hope it wasn't ingested...

N I was just calling him fatty mcfatterson in the pic because of how nuts they all go over tubifex worms. I'm bad at naming my fish, I just call him tailless, jack Dempsey is blind in one eye so he's pirate, n my gold saum I usually just call beautiful. But I think I could prolly come up with something better. Lol

I will be adding more pics on my album but I tried deleting all of them to see if it would let me post pics on threads, but it still wouldn't so I'll be filling it up again.

Concerning pictures.

Not sure how you do it but go advanced, manage attachments.
Fish news?

. . . I had a goldfish called pirate because he/she had a black patch over one eye. I was young! The other two were called goldy and silvy! Imaginative huh!

All fish seem fine. Swimming around and eating normal. Using mostly now the tetra parasite guard but soaking food in both that and the seachem metro. I might have to take my plants out eventually because It says not to use uv light while treating. Idk how long they can go without it.

Yeah pirate is blind because at one point in his life before me he got opaque eye from what it looks like, just hasn't gotten better n I'm sure it's permanent.

Warning, may deviate slightly!

Are you sure it's a uv bulb for plant growth? UV will not aid aquarium plant growth. I think corals utilise some uv.
Regular fluorescents. Check colour temperature. You should be able to run lighting system for plants. 5600-6700+kelvins bulb temperature (colour) for most plants.
Normally written at one end of tube. There is a bulb that has a purple hue but is not uv. Hold something white under (near) it (paper, shoe lace, cotton T shirt), if it glows bright with the room lights out and just the suspect bulb on, its a UV. (Used to be an all night raving lunatic, uk Drum and Bass!) you may say warehouse party? The glow was an important feature for the dance massive! Clothes were checked for glow ability before the party proper. Silly I know. :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:<the massive!

Uv bulbs normally have a separate housing with water pumped around them, they kill algae cells in ponds and also bacteria, depending on wavelength.

Good news on the fish! Make sure they are going again (faeces)

Back
Top Bottom