Gold Saum - PROTRUDING ANUS!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SKB

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Please tell me i have other options then putting my baby down! I was reading up about this and found mixed answers but mostly, telling people to put the fish down.

I have a green terror, 3-4 inches, not sure male/female yet. Im hoping it is a she because then i read up that it might just be her wanting to lay eggs.

He/She is in a 75 gallon tank, i have had it cycled and running for about 2 months now. I do weekly 30-50% water changes depending on parameters. Right now parameters read: Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 15. Temp is 76 & steady.

I feed he/she a mix of New Life Spectrum Flakes, tubifex worms, cichlid sticks, cichlid pellets, krill, blood worms, and recently i tried freeze dried crickets and meal worms with little interest. I feed 3 times daily because i want he/she to grow. I understand, now i should decrease feeding/no feeding for a couple of days. Going to do that.

I read that it can be a deadly issue and you can add aquarium salt or epsom salt but i have plants and a marble sailfin pleco that would not appreciate that.

It isn't red, and i haven't seen anything but regular poop come out, next to it, not out of it.... He/She acts normal besides a month ago she stopped eating my New Life Spectrum mini pellets so that it when i started buying a larger variety of foods. Which she eats and loves the tubifex worms and cichlid sticks. I read that if it is in fact a she, that it does that when she wants to lay eggs. No i don't have any fish with her that can mate. So ....please suggestions and help :ermm::(

I am going to post pictures below, right now my computer is being S.L.O.W.

How long has it been out? If it's just a few hours, most likely the ovipositor.

It has been out for like 2 weeks. I hadn't fed for 2 days n it went in more but it's still a little out. Cleaned tanks today so parameters are the same. He/she still acts normal

Probably not. Is all food freeze dried processed. It didn't state freeze dried.
I'm led to believe but can't confirm a dry diet can cause constipation in fish.
The reason I checked in, I had botia almorhae with the condition how you described it. It died. I'm 100% positive it was intestinal worms. This looks different

It is from the anal vent not the surrounding tissue? Worms.
Protrusion and surrounding tissue around anal vent? Not worms.

So. . .please suggestions and help.

It's difficult to make out from your pics. I'm not familiar with the species so I can't comment on what shape it's supposed to be. Unusual swelling is a key indicator.
If you feed the fish you feed the worm, it seems to disappear or retract when food stops.

How long have you had it? Most (virtually all) wild fish harbour disease.

As posted above F ovipositor, both M and F similar protrusions. I know Mbuna can interbreed same may be true of SA cichlids. Could be nothing to worry about.
Fish attitude will tell you if it's breeding time as most become territorial at this time. Cichlids breeding patterns and behaviours are well documented online. You may (will if you search) find pictures you can compare directly with your specimen.

I'm sorry, yes all the worms or krill or crickets and meal worms I've fed them are freeze dried. I have had the guy for almost a year, 11 months. And he/she was being a bigger bully to my firemouth, I actually separated them and put the firemouth in a spare tank. I don't see any unusual swelling either... But there's an update... I didn't feed for a couple of days and it isn't protruding as much but still noticeable. When feeding pellets today I noticed a bunch of white stringy things come out of it... Didn't look like it was moving like a worm, looked just thin and stringy and now I can't find any to get a pic after I just searched the net about it. Last time I saw it poop it didn't look like it was coming out of the protrusion but beside it. So... What does this mean....

Look for pictures of camallanus or acanthocephala or
bothriocephalus acheilognathi.

Sounds like camallanus but worms should appear red.

See also cestodes and nematodes.

Isolate fish ASAP
If it is worms other fish will ingest and become infected.

Thorough clean of aquarium gravel and filter. Search suitable remedy, difficult to treat.

Be sure it isn't breeding.

Some bacteria can survive freezing boiling and drying.

Have you ever treated for internal parasites and bacteria?

It doesn't look like any of those... And the worms were definitely white and very small and thin... No. I've treated for ich but not anything internal.. And ok, working on moving him to another tank now.

And thank you so much for your help.. It means a lot!!

I appreciate the thank you, that means a lot to me too! I really mean that I say it to everyone who thanks me.

Acanthcephala has around 400 species, parasitic worm.

Cestoda are a family of approximately 1500 species.

You may not find exactly the same one, I don't have a picture of every species.

Search for internal parasite remedy, treat everyone, isolate worst cases.

Extra vigilant on tank cleans for a few weeks.

Sorry, it's a quick reply before work.

Reactions: SKB
Will do! I will keep you updated on what I find for meds etc. Thank you so much! :(

I searched and searched, I found some that I think look like what I have. I read about different medications and different ways of treating it. The most ideal approach for me is the special foods (garlic &/or salt soaked) and adding Epsom or aquarium salt to the tank and upping the temp slowly. I will have to remove my plants, but im going to have to figure out how to disinfect everything anyways, right?

Does this approach sound ok? I just dont like using medicines because they stain my tank. This 75 gallon I got a deal on because i had to re-seal it and I really don't want all my hard work turning blue. I saw a youtube video and several posts about the salt method taking care of internal parasites. They say the food being soaked in garlic, or garlic food being soaked in salt water is the most effective way using this method. Lmk what you think please..

Use a separate tank, something that deals specifically with internal parasites.
That looks like worms. Ideally treat all fish as a matter of precaution.
Salt may not work. Garlic may not work. By the time you figure out these approaches don't work you will have no fish left.

That's a serious case! Those pictures confirm it.

Use any suitable sized plastic type storage container, all fish and filter/heater.
Keep as a quarantine for all new stock. Treat the fish with an appropriate remedy.
If you don't want to stain your tank, clean empty and disinfect it while fish are in quarantine tank.
Depending on stock levels you can use any food grade plastic tub, rubber maid tub, small pond fish transfer tray (many sizes available) etc.

Thank you for the thank you, it means a lot to me.
I am more than glad to have helped.

thank you for your reply. ugh I was hoping some miracle would happen and youd say, oh that's just _____, no big deal. but I just went to my lfs on my lunch break to see what they had I picked up filter with no carbon, aquarium salt, and right now I don't have it in front of me so I forgot what its called, the lfs said they use it, its for external parasites. She said she doesn't think it stains the tank blue. But the guy I know there that knows what he's talking about wasn't working today so, im going to work on treating all tanks tonight. I have to figure out what to do with my plants. Most I can fit in a bucket and put the light on top but I have some on a very large log, so well see about that.

so I am going to be using medication. it said to treat on day 1,3 & 5. I will see how this works and what the outcome is. Ill try to feed with garlic&salt soaked food, but its been picky lately, because of this im sure.... ill keep you updated J.Mcpeak...

Thank you again... ill keep you updated.

It's an internal parasite. You may have a result? Not so sure.

All of the Parasites I outlined previously are internal, some have an external phase but the treatment should target internal.

Consider the long wait between treatments. Normally 7 days before another treatment can begin, plus the time of the course you have.

It won't cause any harm, I'm not sure it will do any good.

You may cleanse the tank of them only, not the guts of your stock.

Please call me Jamie.

OMG! I read your post and was like,...yeah I know I have an internal parasite. Then I looked at my last post, ok I typed it wrong I accidentally wrote external...

Then I go to my car and grab the stuff, I did frekin buy external crap. I don't know whats wrong with me. Looks like I will have to go back and return it after work. I don't think I saw anything else besides a fuzz tab, but now since I bought the wrong thing maybe that said external too, because im a re re. My head must not be in the game.... lol im sorry, I really am not normally this blond....:)

If I cant find anything at my lfs I only have petsmart. So we will see if either of them have anything after I get out at 5.

Jeesh. Thanks Jamie, for your help. lol

My names Shannon. :)

Shannon, You only know this because in telling you now,:ROFLMAO:

Forgive my laughter!

:facepalm:We call it an off day! Re re indeed!

Borrow my wall, hit your head against it!

It works wonders(y)

Back
Top Bottom