golden apple snail...dead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LollyMac11

Aquarium Advice Regular
One of my golden apple snails has stopped moving. It has been fine until yesterday. I noticed it was half in it's shell, not moving around the tank but it's tenticals were moving slightly. Today it hasn't moved at all. It's head is tucked in but it hasn't sealed its self up. I have removed it from the main tank, it's now in a small tank. I don't know if it's dead or not. They have had two clutches of eggs in the last month and both seemed healthy. As I have never kept snails before I don't know what is normal.
Help!

It's normal. As said unless it STINKS it's alive. They can float about the surface, sticking out of their shell, not moving for a week BUT unless they smell, they are alive. Mine do it occasionally.

Yes I agree^ the stench is horrible and is worse than prime ! One of my snails floats (to be scientific to get air out) and you just have to have a sniff! Probably not dead it hard to kill them trust me!

Well, I smelt it this morning....about 2 hours ago, and i still have the horrible smell up my nose. It really was terrible. So unfortunately it was dead. I have never smelt anything like it. I even checked by smelling the other one to see if there was a difference, and there definitely was. Poor little thing.
So my next question....why? Everything else in the tank is fine. Water levels are normal.
Was it just one of those things? It was very big. I believe they live between 2-10years.
I have had them for about 2 months.
On a good note....I have seen a few baby snails around my tank.

I wish I knew why. I dont seem to have any luck with these guys either even though my pond snails are thriving...

I don't know! The other golden apple is fine, the 2 horned snails are fine and my 1 (arrived on a plant) pond snail is fine! Both golden apples were fine.....they had eggs!! Twice!!

I will see how the other one gets on.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom