Golden barb poorly or injured..??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PlumBella

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all

I have two golden barbs. One is very much looking healthy.

The other has red on its side, its fins, by its tail, and a slight mark by its mouth.

We have lost two swordtails yesterday one was unexplained the other was attacked. Possibly by our Humbug Catfish.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP...!!!

Attachments

• image-1997002929.jpg
    image-1997002929.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 133
  • image-1869364079.jpg
    image-1869364079.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 93
  • image-812838394.jpg
    image-812838394.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 105
  • image-2336653032.jpg
    image-2336653032.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 80
  • image-3633041522.jpg
    image-3633041522.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 85
  • image-32505181.jpg
    image-32505181.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 73
Humbug catfish
Bulldog plecos
Tiger barbs
Green tiger barbs
Neon tetra
Serpae tetra
Black widow tetra
Silver sharks
1 rainbow shark
Danios
Swordtails
Male guppies
Albino cory
Peppered cory
Upside down catfish
3 frogs
Coolies
Siamese coolies
Bamboo shrimp
Glass catfish
Snails

They have all been together for months fine.

All water checks are perfect...!! ???

Aka silver sharks..

Yes two.

They have never ever gone near other fish.

We think the Humbug catfish was responsible for killing a swordtail as that cave thing you can see in the pictures is where he stays. We found a swordtail partly buried in the entrance to it. It had
Been bitten quite badly and buried.

Silver fish try to eat the snails that's the only thing we have noticed.

These fish have all been together since July 2012

Just curiously, how big are your silver sharks and your rainbow shark? From my experience as these guy got bigger in my 35 gallon they were getting more and more territorial, especially the rainbow shark. Silver sharks will pretty much eat anything big enough to fit in its mouth, one of mine started targeting my neon tetras and ended up giving the tetras to friend. rainbow sharks are cheeky and will fin nip or bully smaller fish. I reckon either of these sharks are the cause of injury... And don't forget Silver Sharks can get really big like up to a foot long or more.

I have split mine now and my 3 silver sharks are in a 75 with an angelfish, couple of gouramis and bristlenose, my rainbow shark shares a 120 with an Oscar, 3 severums and goldsspot pleco. Aggression non existent now.

They are about 6-7 inches approximately.

The rainbow shark thinks himself as the boss. Hence why you should only have one and not put it with red-tail black sharks.

All he does is chase they playfully around the tank if they are swimming past him. He never gets close to any to nip or bite.

He has his hiding hole and swims the tank giving off "I am the boss" style of swimming.

The Bala sharks aka silver sharks are more interested in trying to eat the snails.
Every day they make it their mission to succeed in getting the snails out of their shells. Lol.

They only boss each other about as one is slightly smaller than the other.

It was our Angelfish that were the bully's.
We unfortunately lost those. Tried spawning way too many times in a very short space of time. Male died then female died of loneliness before we could get another.

What about diseases with barbs?? Is there anything than barbs are known for???

How are your water parameters? Apart from the red on the body, are there any lesions, white spots or "mould like" spots visible on scales or mouth? If unsure should put in a quarantine tank and look at either getting bacterial/fungal treatment in place for your barb. Have you notice any change in appetite, reduced activity?

Could be possibility.... columnaris bacteria

Water parameters spot on perfect.

Nothing like that on it.

There is a little white mark by the red on its side but not quite sure what it is yet...

Cheers

Water parameters spot on perfect.

Nothing like that on it.

There is a little white mark by the red on its side but not quite sure what it is yet...

Cheers

No worries ?

I would still probably consider taking it out of the community tank and into a QT just for observation and have melafix & pimafix on hand just in case the little marks get bigger and you need to treat fairly quickly for bacterial or fungal infection.

Back
Top Bottom