Golden Gourami- Dropsy? (Pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bren501

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys got golden gourami with a swollen abdomen. Been told it could be dropsy? So bought some interpet any internal bacterial solution and added some aquarium salt. Was wonder if you guy have had much experience with these problems before and advise to help stop the problem?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414334880.993584.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414334907.029654.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414334923.741309.jpg

Sent from my Brens iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah It looks like dropsy but don't give it a bath with aquarium salt use Epsom salt it's better make sure to look up how to do it first

Stop aquarium salt ASAP! That makes,fish retain water. You want EPSOM salt as that relieves the pressure of bloating. Keep us posted.

Read up on doing Epsom salt BATHS. Not positive, but you probably want to do a very large water change.

Also, dropsy is usually accompanied by pine coning of the scales. It is usually indicative of an underlying disease.

It is also possible he is constipated. You can,try feeding it cooked, smashed, shelled, not-flavored peas that you can buy frozen. That gets the bowels moving.

Either way, an epsom salt bath can be helpful.

As said epsom salt not aquarium keep water parameters near or at 0 increase temperature and reduce stress. Also consider feeding peas

If you don't have the scales lifting up off the body, it may not be dropsy. Hope not, it's pretty rare to be able to do anything about it. Though I did read an article not long ago where someone had success but they had to buy a lot of antibiotics to effect the cure and it was just one case with one fish.

If you see the scales rising up, you may end up having to euthanize the fish. Clove oil is the most humane way to do that, if need be. I sincerely hope you won't have to do that.

If it's constipation, and you can get it resolved, try feeding live or frozen foods more than man made types. Diets closer to what fish would eat in the wild are less likely to cause digestive problems, at least in my experience they are.

Thanks guys
I put the internal anti bacterial solution in 2 days ago and added Epsom I'm pretty sure the swelling has decreased ever so slightly! Will add more solution in on day 4 as advise
Luckily the scales haven't started to lift so hoping if it dropsy I have kind of caught it in time.
Also I'll make changes to the diet of fully blood worm and brine shrimp in stead of pellet just incase this has been caused by compaction.
Will keep you guys posted along with pics.

Thanks guys
I put the internal anti bacterial solution in 2 days ago and added Epsom I'm pretty sure the swelling has decreased ever so slightly! Will add more solution in on day 4 as advise
Luckily the scales haven't started to lift so hoping if it dropsy I have kind of caught it in time.
Also I'll make changes to the diet of fully blood worm and brine shrimp in stead of pellet just incase this has been caused by compaction.
Will keep you guys posted along with pics.

Id advice to feed peas remove the shell. Live food can actually make matters worst in some cases. And the problem isnt the pellet, its most likely the air he gulps in when taking the pellet at the surface, if its not a parasite.

Brill ok thanks for the tips will try peas :)

Back
Top Bottom