Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-22-2014, 12:59 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Golden sharks acting strange

Hi, I'm new to the site, and a rookie fish keeper, and not sure if I have my first problem. Basically I set the tank up 2 mths ago and cycled it for 1 month, I then added 4 x mollies 4 weeks ago, 2 x golden sharks and 3 Bala sharks 3 weeks ago, and then 4 clown loach 2 weeks ago, I have a 180l tank, all water levels seem acceptable (tested weekly)

On Friday I noticed that one of the mollies has had about 8 babies and that one of the golden sharks has left his cave and started swimming vertically at the surface, and now today the other golden shark has joined him, the other fish aren't acting differently, the Bala's occasionally swim vertically but the seem to like doing what ever the other fish are doing.

Any ideas if I have got a problem?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403413157.362742.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	241035

Old 06-22-2014, 06:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Welcome to AA! I don't notice any surface movement. What type of filtration do you have? Could be a lack of oxygen. Have you tested your ammonia level? That's a huge amount of stocking in such a short time for an established tank, much less a new one.

And I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but have you checked out the adult size of most of your fish? If I were you, I'd return the bala's, loaches and the golden sharks asap just for starters. Then folks here can help you with a stocking list for your tank.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:24 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would put in an air-stone, get some oxygen in the water asap. It looks as though they are up there getting air.

Your tank is way too small for some of the fish you've got. The sharks may become aggressive towards each other and other fish, when they get older, they get quite territorial, and grow a reasonable size. The loaches also grow really big and should be kept in groups of at least 5. I have 5 Clown Loaches in a 6 foot tank and that is probably too small. Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Tags
gold, golden, shark, sharks, strange

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com