Goldfish bruise/healing or something else?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vboyer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Need advice! I hurt my back about a month and a half ago and so was unable to do any maintenance on my tank until three weeks ago. It's a 60-70g planted tank that was housing two fancy goldfish, a black moor, and a pleco; they all lived quite happily in there for roughly two years, until now. I lost one goldfish and the plants and am desperately trying not to loose the other (the black moor and pleco could apperently care less, hardy buggers). I did a 50% water change, got the ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, and PH levels all back to normal and have cleaned my canister filter and replaced the mediums. My goldfish (who has a lovely long tail and "zombie brains") had white fuzzy spots/things and white "mold" on his "brain" so I dosed the tank with salts and then NatGeo's natural bacteria and fungus herbal relief stuff, so that's almost all gone. But now he's getting what looks like black "mold" under his chin, on his "nostril fluffs" and by his gills! I've read that this could just be bruising and is a sign of healing but he's rubbing against stuff like maybe it itches and he doesn't seem well balanced (if he stops swimming he eeeever so slowly tilts head up, and he has a hard time righting himself if he flips upside down).

I've included pictures, but ignore the tumor on his left side at the base of his tail, it still looks the same as always and I'm keeping an eye on it.

Oh, and I've noticed that recently there's sometimes more bubbles at the surface of the water by the bubbler, but I'm thinking that might just be a side effect of the "natural oils" that are in the bacteria/fungal meds from the NatGeo stuff?

Advice would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 94
  • left.JPG
    left.JPG
    239.8 KB · Views: 127
  • right.jpg
    right.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 201
  • tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 76
Hi, depending on how the ammonia went it could be ammonia burns. This can take up to three days to show from the ammonia spike (I have read).

I have noticed with melafix / pimafix that water bubbles will be more present (in my case with co2 injection) so this may be similar to your thoughts. These products should include elements to allow the oils to mix with the water. As far as I know they have a very long life but check there is no oil film on the water surface in case.

HI
Looks like hes just been thru a rough time lately.
your fish(s) could really benifit from these 2 proucts.
Ken's Premium Sinking Pellets with Oxytetracycline 2.5mm
Feed 2-3 times a day small meals for 7-10 days
Kordon Methylene Blue 4 oz.
Use them together. Take out your filter an put it in a small bucket of water or another tank....and aerate because the methylene will kill any all bacteria/fungus/ick in your tank.... good bacteria inclued.

Back
Top Bottom