Goldfish Clear Poop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jayann

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My goldfish was recently moved to a new tank that finished cycling. When he/she was moved, the poop looked fine and totally normal (same color as food being fed, normal size). Last night and today, I noticed it was pooping clear. I would not call it stringy but it certainly is not as thick as it is when it comes out with color. It is not a long trail of poop either. Seems about the same length as what is typical for the fish. I do not see any air bubbles in the poop but to be honest im not really sure what that would look like. The fish did not get many fruit or veggies in his old tank and we started introducing some after the move (peas, romaine, kiwi). We are giving them as a treat only and about 2 times a week. I read on another forum where someone had said their goldie would have this kind of poop after eating vegetation. After seeing the first sign of it last night, I fed 2 small peas as I was told this helps with constipation. I know this can also be a symptom of parasites but the fish shows no other symptom of having any issues. He is still eating and swimming normally. No signs of anything visibly wrong with his body. I also read this can happen after they reabsorb eggs but I have no clue if it is a he or a she. I don't want to medicate without knowing for sure there is an issue. Has anyone else had experience with this after feeding treats of various types? I will be stopping any treats for now and will watch for any changes in hopes it will return to normal. How long would this take if it is the treats? Should I stop feedings for a bit just to see if it is constipation? How long would that take before I could expect to see a change if it is indeed constipation? At what point should I say for sure that yes this is a parasite issue? I find it hard to believe it is that as this is a brand new tank, he is the only fish, it was cycled with his seeding material from his old tank. I just am not sure how a parasite could have been introduced because it seems to me if that was the problem, it would have been happening in the old tank too. There are no live plants. Is it even possible for him to have picked up a parasite? And if so how in all brand new stuff? Everything was well rinsed prior to the setup and the tank ran for a good 3 weeks while it cycled. I am working on getting a picture loaded but it has not arrived in my email yet. I will post the picture as soon as I can. Thanks in advance for any advice.

UPDATE: I now see another piece of poop floating that must have just been passed. It indeed has some color but the thickness is still not what I expect nor is the color as dark.

Disregard this post please. The issue has cleared up and the fish is now pooping like normal :)

Back
Top Bottom