Goldfish Dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 2.5 Gallon bowface tabletop tank that has been setup for about 6 months. I have a scratch built undergravle filter and a whisper hang on the back fiter whitch keep the water crystal clear. The tank has been cycled for about 6 months and the parameters have been stabilized since then.

(Jungle Test Strips)
Amonia= 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate= 20
Hardness= soft
Alkalinity=120
PH =7.2

Temp=78 deg
20% water changes weekly

The water has a slight smell to it like wet soil whitch I have heard = good.
My problem is I have gone thru 3 goldfish in the past 3 months and I have one now that is exibiting the same symptoms as the other 3 that died. (note: I have only had one fish in the tank at a time never overcrowded.
When I got this fish he was like the others swimming all the time, fins fully extended bright colors. After about a month and 2 weeks he began to slow down and almost apeared as if he was tired (swimming slow) now about a week later he is just sitting on the bottom of the tank fins clamped and not eating. There are no visable signs of disease or infection or anything wrong except for the clamped fins and loss of some color. I assume since this is the symptoms of the other 3 that he probably has about another week left. Any Ideas? If this one dies I am throwing in the towell because I refuse the be the killer of any more fish.

What type of Goldfish have you had? Even with OK water parameter, 2.5g is wwaayy too small for almost all Goldfish. Fish can get stress in tanks that are too small, and they get weak if they do not have room to swim. To be honest I am amazed that your water parameters are as good as they are. Maybe something like a Betta would work better in that tank for you?

To try to save the fish you have now, you can get a 10g glass tank at many pet shops for about $12. Then you could use your HOB filter, some of the old rocks, and acclimate the fish in a new tank with fresh water. You need a cover for the tank too, and run an airstone to help increase surface aggitation. The extra space and fresh water could get the fish swimming again, unless he has an infection or something :(

Check here for a lot of Goldfish info:

http://www.goldfishinfo.com/

Your water temp seems high for goldfish. Mine seem to lose scales and die quickly in 78 degree water. The cooler temps like 72-74 might extend their life. Good luck!

The symptoms your describing sound like ammonia poisoning, maybe your tests are bad?
Try getting yout local fish store to test the water for you, also how often and how much do you change your water?
Grimlocks right, common goldfish (usually comets) get to be over a foot long and need large tanks, they produce a lot of waste and are messy eaters.
Julies also right, goldfish enjoy temps around 19-20*C or 68-74*f.

actually, it depends on the goldfish.

ornamentals such as orandas and ryukins actually do very well in temps btw 74-78.

I remember when last time I buy a new Aquarium, it quiet big Nisso 213, I have an experience that maybe can help U, first time I already prepare anything including external water filtration, but after 5 days, 2 from 5 fish was dying it's suck by an external filter motor. My fish was seems very lazy for swimming. From there I try to get my air pump from another aquarium and I'm lucky my another 3 goldfish was survive. Try to add more air pump to your aquarium, maybe it was your goldfish problems.

Back
Top Bottom