Goldfish finrot enquiry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ashleyluka

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi!

I have a 120 litre tank with a big fancy goldfish, 2 weather loaches and 2 albino corys, who have all lived in harmony for about 6/7 years.

I must admit I have neglected water changes over the past couple of months because I recently broke my ankle so everything has been difficult.

I’ve noticed today that my goldfish is suffering from finrot, and one of my loaches is now attacking her because she’s ill.

I have quarantined the goldfish because of this, and have treated both the old tank and the one that the goldfish is in.

Unfortunately all I have to quarantine my goldfish in is a bucket (that isn’t see through) so I can only see her from the top.

My question is, how long does it generally take for a fish to recover from finrot? I have read about seeing new growth but obviously it’s hard when I can only see her from the top. Also how often should I be doing water changes for her to best help her recover? Thankyou.

Hi!

I have a 120 litre tank with a big fancy goldfish, 2 weather loaches and 2 albino corys, who have all lived in harmony for about 6/7 years.

I must admit I have neglected water changes over the past couple of months because I recently broke my ankle so everything has been difficult.

I’ve noticed today that my goldfish is suffering from finrot, and one of my loaches is now attacking her because she’s ill.

I have quarantined the goldfish because of this, and have treated both the old tank and the one that the goldfish is in.

Unfortunately all I have to quarantine my goldfish in is a bucket (that isn’t see through) so I can only see her from the top.

My question is, how long does it generally take for a fish to recover from finrot? I have read about seeing new growth but obviously it’s hard when I can only see her from the top. Also how often should I be doing water changes for her to best help her recover? Thankyou.
Recovery is based on how much damage was done so it's hard to pinpoint a time. Bad water is most likely the reason for the rot so that has to be fixed in order for the fish to recover. Water changes will depend on how you are treating the fin rot. Follow the directions on whatever medication you are using for water change schedule. In the main tank, weekly changes should be done, especially if the fish are older and larger. (y)

Thankyou, it doesn’t actually give me any advice on the medication about how many times to water change but it’s Interpet anti fungus and finrot treatment.
The tail isn’t bad at all - I think I noticed it fast enough so there are a couple of tears/pieces missing but I would say she still has 90% of her tail.
Thanks for the advice so far!

Thankyou, it doesn’t actually give me any advice on the medication about how many times to water change but it’s Interpet anti fungus and finrot treatment.
The tail isn’t bad at all - I think I noticed it fast enough so there are a couple of tears/pieces missing but I would say she still has 90% of her tail.
Thanks for the advice so far!

Sadly, we don't have that product here in the US so I have no first hand experience with it but I did see from Interpet that you only use the product once or if retreatment is necessary, it's done 7 days after the first dose and after a 30% water change. If still unsure, contact Interpet directly for more information. (y)

Fin rot is caused by poor water quality and a dirty environment. Treatment involves cleaning up the conditions and adding salt.

If you are having problems doing water changes, run a garden hose out onto the lawn and connect the gravel cleaner to the garden hose. Gravel clean the tank and drain the dirty water straight out the door onto the lawn. Then flush some water through the hose for 5 minutes and then use it to fill up some buckets next to the aquarium. Dechlorinate this new water and aerate it for at least 5 minutes, then add it to the tank. You can use a small water pump and length of hose to pump water from the containers into the aquarium.

You can make a U out of pvc pipe and attach it to the end of the hose and hang it over the side of the tank. The other end of the hose goes on the small water pump. The U goes upside down and hangs over the glass and holds the hose in place so you can turn the pump on and off.

--------------------

SALT
You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt), swimming pool salt, or any non iodised salt (sodium chloride) to the aquarium at the dose rate of 1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres (5 gallons) of water. If there is no improvement after 48 hours you can double that dose rate so there is 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, Bettas & gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria, fish, plants, shrimp or snails.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week using only fresh water that has been dechlorinated. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that. This dilutes the salt out of the tank slowly so it doesn't harm the fish.

If you do water changes while using salt, you need to treat the new water with salt before adding it to the tank. This will keep the salt level stable in the tank and minimise stress on the fish.

When you first add salt, add the salt to a small bucket of tank water and dissolve the salt. Then slowly pour the salt water into the tank near the filter outlet. Add the salt over a couple of minutes.

Back
Top Bottom