Goldfish Floating Upside Down/Sideways (Still Alive)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Desacrator

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys my goldfish Marvin has been having some issues. He still eats fine, but for that past 2-3 weeks he hasn't been able to swim/float properly. if he swims too far deep his butt starts to float up and then he gets turned upside down. I was told to start feeding him seaweed and that should have fixed the problem. I have been feeding the tank seaweed for like 5-7 days now and have seen no change. What should I do? I don't want my little buddy to die.:(

Hi! Can you please provide us with some more info?

Type of goldfish?
Tank size?
Stocking?
Exact numbers for ammonia, nitrte, nirate & ph?
Water change schedule (%/#wk)?
Normal daily diet (brand, pellets or flakes, other foods, etc)?
Any other symptoms (bloating, strange poop/lack of, redness in fins/body, etc)?

Thanks!

Type of goldfish - ryukin
Tank size 37 gal
Stocking 2 other goldies, 4 cory cats, 1 pleco
Exact numbers for ammonia, nitrte, nirate & ph? (dont have my kit on me)
Water change schedule (%/#wk)? 50% every 2 weeks s the average
Normal daily diet (brand, pellets or flakes, other foods, etc)? omega 1 pellets and worms every 2-3 days with seaweed
Any other symptoms (bloating, strange poop/lack of, redness in fins/body, etc)? no

Your tank is a bit overstocked with the pleco in there it sounds like a swim bladder issue.

It could be caused by the water. I would up your changes to 50% each week. That should help. But without exact parameters we can't give a solid answer.

Your tank is a bit overstocked with the pleco in there it sounds like a swim bladder issue.

It could be caused by the water. I would up your changes to 50% each week. That should help. But without exact parameters we can't give a solid answer.

+1
Definitely increase your water changes to atleast 50% a week but twice a week would be better with your current stock. We really do need the exact numbers in your tank right now though in order to be able to offer further advice. :)

The_Desacrator said:
Type of goldfish - ryukin
Tank size 37 gal
Stocking 2 other goldies, 4 cory cats, 1 pleco
Exact numbers for ammonia, nitrte, nirate & ph? (dont have my kit on me)
Water change schedule (%/#wk)? 50% every 2 weeks s the average
Normal daily diet (brand, pellets or flakes, other foods, etc)? omega 1 pellets and worms every 2-3 days with seaweed
Any other symptoms (bloating, strange poop/lack of, redness in fins/body, etc)? no

I'm surprised no one else said anything yet but I would rehome the pleco(depending on which one it is, some grow to be 14 inches in length) and the Cory cats. Both those fish prefer Warner waters. And I agree with the swim bladder.

Back
Top Bottom