Goldfish has developed bright RED face!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pisces68

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My baby goldfish has developed a bright red face over about 2-3 days, it seems fine otherwise. Does anyone know what it is. I don't even know what type of goldfish it is because there were eggs in aquarium plants I bought for my tropical tank. It's 10 weeks old. I bought a Calico goldfish 1 week ago from a pet shop for a tank mate but it suddenly died overnight. The water tests are fine. Can anyone tell me what's causing it? If it's a disease can it be treated & how? & what type of goldfish is it?

Attachments

• IMG_0622.jpg
    IMG_0622.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 456
  • IMG_0623.jpg
    IMG_0623.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 166
What size is your tank? What are the exact water parameters? Do you have a lot of water movement in the tank from your filter? If not do you have an airstone?

What size is your tank? What are the exact water parameters? Do you have a lot of water movement in the tank from your filter? If not do you have an airstone?

It’s only a small tank, 20 litres, with 2 goldfish. I have a small filter that trickles water back in like a little waterfall, it’s on about half speed, just enough to put some smaller air bubbles into the water to the bottom for aeration without too much agitation. The tank has been set up since Xmas day, when the fish was born, his little pal died from swim bladder so I added a new goldfish about 8 days ago, but it died 2 days ago suddenly overnight, not sure from what. The ph is 6-7, no nitrates, no nitrites, no ammonia. I use API StressCoat, & StressZyme. 2 small feeds a day. I do 25% water changes every 5 days, gravel vac every 2nd water change. I also have another 20litre tank full of 9 mollie & 5 guppy fry (I don’t have any males, so my 5 females were pregnant when I bought them) I have a 50 litre main tank, all tanks are looked after the same way & all are doing well - except for the goldfish- I thought they were quite hardy?

So 20 liters is about 5 gallons. None of the fish you have can be in a tank that small, maybe just the guppies. Mollies get around 4" and need around 30 (US) gallons or 113 liters. Goldfish are hardy yes but only when taken care of properly. The goldfish you have (if you had a large enough tank) will grow (up to) 8"+ and will need at least 40 (US) gallons or 151 liters. With a very strong filter and 50% water changes twice a week. They can live up to 20 years if you take good care of them.

Your tank doesn't sound like it's cycled. You should be seeing some nitrates. When you clean do you scrub everything out and change the filter pad? If so that might explain why the tank isn't cycled. It might be what is causing the red face but I'm not 100% sure on that.
Is he gasping at the top at all? If so it could be a lack of oxygen in the water.

Last edited:
I wonder why they make tanks so small if they’re not suitable to use. I don’t have the room to get bigger tanks. Some people have a few goldfish in a small bowl, I got a 20 litre tank with filter which is better than most people have. I’ve read fish wont out grow their environment, I wouldn’t think 20 litres is too small for 2 baby goldfish. I bought my tank & fish under advice from a chain of pet stores called ‘Pet Stock’. Anyway I’m doing my best I’ve spent over $1000 in 3 months on these fish, tanks, test kits, water additives, quality foods, medications, trying to look after them properly. I never planned on babies the pet shop sold me pregnant females, the goldfish must have come from eggs in the plants I bought. When the fry are old enough I will advertise them & give them to new homes.

Rehoming the fish to a proper home sounds good. If you want Betta fish have great personalities and a single can go in a 20l tank just fine. You could also do a Pea puffer or African dwarf frog.

They make small tanks to make money on unsuspecting people. I know I started with a 2.5 gallon tank.
Fish won't grow out of their environment because they die young. That's why I mentioned the lifespan of a goldfish. Most people think 1 year is a good run for one when the average is over 10 years.

Back
Top Bottom