Goldfish is On his side not swiming.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joeybsmooth

Aquarium Advice Freak
But he is still alive. He is in QT. I have not feed him in 2 days in case it was the swim bladder. But nothing has changed. What should I do.

1. He was is a goldfish. He is just one his side not moving but still alive.
2.ammonia is .5
nitrite 0
nitrate 20
pH 6.2
alkalinity 40
Hardness 75
chlorine 0
salinity 0
3. 45
4. / a mouth. And a Wisher
5. Just some louches and out goldies . And a catfish.
6Two weeks ago. There is not gravel just stones.
7 . a year
8 no
9 floating crisps .

That's too much ammonia, you need to do a water change. Poor water conditions can cause swim bladder issues.
Try soaking the floating crisps before you feed them to him. And for now, get the ammonia down, and feed him boiled, shelled peas, they are a laxative.

Dkpate, you are great everytime I have a question you are one of the people that helps me. I put a pea in his QT water but he has not eaten it. I heard that you can help them by not just feeding.

Also I really don't get what is going on with him. Like he looks die :(. But like when I touch him with the net he does barrel rolls .

This can be from several conditions:
The easiest to treat is gas in the gut, or constipation. Floating crisps are not great for goldies. They gulp down too much air when eating & the crisps swells in the stomach, causing problems, esp, in fancies. Treatment is peas as above, and also increasing temp to mid to high 70's. If that doesn't help, MgSO4 (Epsom's salt) bath may be tried.
Next on the list is swimbladder disorder. Maintaining clean water is essential for treatment. Any hint to ammonia or nitrites is bad and indicates need for water change. Increasing the temp may help, but often SB is secondary to bacterial infections or parasites. It is useful to treat with anti-biotic containing food, or possibly an anti-parasitical food, depending on which you think is more likely.
Finally, this can be dropsy. If the fish is swollen, and esp. if the scales are lifting, dropsy is likely. This has a poor prognosis, as dropsy is essentially a sign of end stage organ failure. High temp (that is 78-80 in goldies!), clean water, and anti-biotic food is all you can do. This may work if the cause is a bacterial infection. There are other causes of dropsy, but a bacterial cause is about the only easily treatable one. MgSO4 bath may help with the symptoms, but is not curative.

What kind of salt & how much?

Regular salt will make dropsy worse .... so be sure your fish is not bloated before going for that.

You can't just "toss a bit in". You need to use the proper concentrations or you might do more harm than good.

For a long term bath (days to weeks) use 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon per gallon. You can double or triple that amount for a short term dip (say for treating constipation) ... short term dip would be something like 30 mins. <However, when doing salt dips with high concentration salt, you need to watch the fish, if they have any bad reaction, remove to fresh water immediately.>

Back
Top Bottom