Goldfish is really sick!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lindsey577

Aquarium Advice Activist
I really need some help right now. My gold fish is really sick. Lately he has been sitting at the bottom of the tank and not really moving at all unless I fed him. The other gold fish in the tank are totally fine. Today he is so much worse. He cant keep himself upright so he kinda just floats around the bottom sideways or upside down. I picked him up from the bottom and put some food in front of home and he ate it right up. After that I put him down again and he started trying to get some food off the ground. He was kind of just pulling himself around. What do I do?? What's the matter with my gold fish?! Help please!

How many fish are in your tank and what size is it? Do you have a water test kit to see what the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels are like? How often do you change your water and how much? How often do you feed and how much?

Fish disease are often caused by overfeeding and dirty water.

How many fish are in your tank and what size is it? Do you have a water test kit to see what the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels are like? How often do you change your water and how much? How often do you feed and how much?

Fish disease are often caused by overfeeding and dirty water.

We really need answers to these questions in order to be able to help! Tank size, stocking, parameters, wc schedule (%/#wk) and specific diet (brand, types of foods) will us to figure out whats happening here. Thanks!

Sorry it took so long to reply! But the fish was in a big outside pond. I noticed that he was sick in there so I put him in a 10g. I know it's way too small but I don't have anything bigger. I'm doing a 75% water change every day. I'm feeding him (and all my other goldfish) wardley flake food. I don't have the water parameters yet but I'm working on it.

Since the fish is in a QT tank and you are performing massive water changes, the water quality should be fine. If you notice the water getting cloudy by the end of the day, you may need to perform 75% in the AM and 75% in the PM.

For now, you could treat him for bloat since it's harmless to your fish and easy to do. Add epsom salt at 1tbs/10 gallons and try feeding him some shelled boiled peas for a few days.

If he does not improve in a few days, he could have swim bladder disease. To treat, use kanaymycin in the QT tank for 10 days, redosing the drugs that you take out after a water change. Use a heater and sponge filter and an airstone.

Please post some photos if you can.

Kanamycin can be purchased at Pet Mountain: kanamycin - Search Results

I actually would opt for a metronizadole medicated food such as Metromeds rather than kanamycin. I do not see any mention of bloating but epsom salt baths daily (1tsp/g for 15-20mins) can sometimes help if its a buoyancy problem related to a digestive issue. If the fish is bloated or if you notice the scales lifting/looking 'rough', do not use kanamycin as this may further damage the kidneys. The easiest way to tell if this is occurring is to look top down at the fish's sides- the scales should lay perfectly flat.

When you are able to test your water, the results of the water in the pond from where he came will be the most helpful. Beyond the swimming issues, does he have any other symptoms such as rapid or heavy breathing, gulping or yawning, red streaking or veining in the body or fins, strange waste, etc?

I actually would opt for a metronizadole medicated food such as Metromeds rather than kanamycin. I do not see any mention of bloating but epsom salt baths daily (1tsp/g for 15-20mins) can sometimes help if its a buoyancy problem related to a digestive issue. If the fish is bloated or if you notice the scales lifting/looking 'rough', do not use kanamycin as this may further damage the kidneys. The easiest way to tell if this is occurring is to look top down at the fish's sides- the scales should lay perfectly flat.

When you are able to test your water, the results of the water in the pond from where he came will be the most helpful. Beyond the swimming issues, does he have any other symptoms such as rapid or heavy breathing, gulping or yawning, red streaking or veining in the body or fins, strange waste, etc?

JLK, I've haven't read about Metro treating swim bladder disease? I use it for Hexamita.

Metro has quite a few uses beyond just the obvious protozoa treatment (such as hex) due to it having antibiotic properties. Its commonly used in a goldfish that is just starting to dropsy with very positive results. I have had more success with metro than kana with buoyancy issues (not related to diet) but I think we need more info on the Op's situation here. :)

Finally got the water parameters. Sorry it took so long. My dad just got back from Afghanistan yesterday so it's been pretty crazy around here. Here's a pic of the parameters.

Attachments

• image-1091633538.jpg
    image-1091633538.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 65
From the present tank. The tank he was in before got totally cleaned out so I really don't think that the parameters matter anymore since they aren't accurate. Here are some pictures. The fish acts totally fine except for the fact that he can't swim or keep himself upright! He eats like a pig! I pick him up off the bottom and hand feed the poor guy...

Attachments

• image-1750963221.jpg
    image-1750963221.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 60
  • image-1710233580.jpg
    image-1710233580.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 60
Metro has quite a few uses beyond just the obvious protozoa treatment (such as hex) due to it having antibiotic properties. Its commonly used in a goldfish that is just starting to dropsy with very positive results. I have had more success with metro than kana with buoyancy issues (not related to diet) but I think we need more info on the Op's situation here. :)

Thanks! I knew that Metro was has antibiotic properties. It's an amazing drug! I hope fishkeepers use it wisely and for a full treatment time of 10 days.

Do you increase the temps to 89 when you've used it in the past? I've done so with excellent results for HEX.

From the present tank. The tank he was in before got totally cleaned out so I really don't think that the parameters matter anymore since they aren't accurate. Here are some pictures. The fish acts totally fine except for the fact that he can't swim or keep himself upright! He eats like a pig! I pick him up off the bottom and hand feed the poor guy...

If you read any amount of ammonia, you need to increase you water changes. Please test your pond water parameters as well.

Are those dark marks on him his coloring or have they appeared just recently?

Forgot to add that he does seem to be gulping/breathing really fast. Like 20 times in 10 seconds. Maybe thats normal. I'm not sure. Also one of his gills is red and shaped strangely. Maybe you guys can see what I'm talking about from this picture. The first pic is the normal one and second is the strange one.

Attachments

• image-839611853.jpg
    image-839611853.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 59
  • image-2524633219.jpg
    image-2524633219.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 52
If you read any amount of ammonia, you need to increase you water changes. Please test your pond water parameters as well.

Are those dark marks on him his coloring or have they appeared just recently?

I don't know if this makes a difference or not, but its a very new tank. I just started it yesterday. Doesn't that cause the ammonia to get pretty high? If you haven't already, read my post about the pond water. Do you still think i should test it? And the spots are just his coloring.

He stopped in the pond. He has only been in there for about a week. Right now he's actually moving around a little more. I wouldn't really call it swimming, but he is moving around trying to pick some food up off the bottom. He's had a lot more energy since I started hand feeding him.

Ok, today he started trying to swim around. He sort of just drifts around the tank. If there is and current he get swept away and knocked over. If he gets close to the filter he gets stuck to it. I really don't know what to do. I really don't want to but I think I might need to just put him out of his misery.

Can you lower the water flow? If you change 50% of the water every day you will not need any filtration, just an airstone and heater. Clean water can heal alot if fish diseases. Have you started the metro treatment?

Just keep up on the water changes and make sure that ammonia and nitrite stay below 0.25 ppm. I would think that him trying to swim around is a good sign. Right now I would keep up with what you're doing, it seems like it is helping him. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom