Goldfish resting with face on the ground

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update: bought API freshwater master kit and API ammo lock and tested ammonia IMG_5256.jpg

You also have to use a water conditioner like prime to remove the stuff in the water you're replacing

Could you also test for nitrite as it's just as if not more deadly than ammonia, you want to test both at the same time cause that will tell us more about if your tank is still cycling.

The first time i tested it nitrite tested 0 and nitrate tested about 10ppm. I didn't test them again the second time but i will test everything again today

With goldfish in a 20 gallon tank its going to be hard to keep the ammonia down they produce huge amounts of waste, you might have to do pwc's every single day to keep your parameters right, not big water changes but like maybe - 10-15% daily.

With goldfish in a 20 gallon tank its going to be hard to keep the ammonia down they produce huge amounts of waste, you might have to do pwc's every single day to keep your parameters right, not big water changes but like maybe - 10-15% daily.

Oh ok! Thank you!

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I am fascinated at the number of reputable sources that say that oranda goldfish need between a 10 and 30 gallon tank. I've very thoroughly researched all of my critters, and I would find it quite distressing to learn that, for example, thegoldfishtank.com gave information that everyone "in the know" considered laughably wrong. That website, by the way, appears to be a very good resource.

xxkitzoxx, don't be intimidated by water changes. I actually find them very satisfying- squeezing the filter sponge into old water especially so. My tanks never *look* dirty, but I certainly remove a lot of garbage!

I'm really glad you're doing research. It speaks well to your caretaking abilities.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I am fascinated at the number of reputable sources that say that oranda goldfish need between a 10 and 30 gallon tank. I've very thoroughly researched all of my critters, and I would find it quite distressing to learn that, for example, thegoldfishtank.com gave information that everyone "in the know" considered laughably wrong. That website, by the way, appears to be a very good resource.

xxkitzoxx, don't be intimidated by water changes. I actually find them very satisfying- squeezing the filter sponge into old water especially so. My tanks never *look* dirty, but I certainly remove a lot of garbage!

I'm really glad you're doing research. It speaks well to your caretaking abilities.

Thank you for all the help! I got into the fish hobby around march so i am not very knowledgeable on everything yet. I do plan on saving for a larger tank, but right now i live in a college dorm and 20 gallon is the largest i am allowed. So I will upgrade them when I move into an apartment (hopefully by summer)

Just saying goldfish are actually considered pond fish, just like I cannot keep my clown loaches in my 55 gallon
Screenshot_20161030-182608.jpg

Fancy goldfish are very different from common goldfish. You're fine.
You really need to not give bad advice, that fish grows up to 8", your fine for now but you will have to do ritual water changes to keep the paramiters in check but the fish will eventually outgrow the tank.

You really need to not give bad advice, that fish grows up to 8", your fine for now but you will have to do ritual water changes to keep the paramiters in check but the fish will eventually outgrow the tank.
I'm saying that fancy goldfish aren't considered pond fish the way that common goldfish are.

I do have the 20 gallon container that I used to keep my first goldfish in. Should i get another filter so i can spread out the fish? Or should i save up for a larger tank?

Back
Top Bottom