Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-29-2017, 06:49 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Goldfish suddenly dead.

hey guys, I have a 75 gallon tank and I've had the one gold fish in it for about 4 months now and I was watching him 10 minutes ago and he was swimming around like normal, eating his dinner doing everything perfectly normal and I just got up then and he was dead on the bottom on the tank. just tested the water and the water is perfect. any ideas on what could have happened?

Old 04-29-2017, 08:47 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Can fish choke on their food?

Old 04-29-2017, 09:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMaier View Post
Can fish choke on their food?

yes I think so, but I would have noticed because I watched him finish eating and swim around before I walked away
Old 04-29-2017, 09:14 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm sorry your fish died.
I just Googled fish having heart attacks and strokes and they can both happen to fish.
They don't actually choke they get large pieces food stuck in their throats. Remember they don't breathe through their mouths they have gills for that.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharmon View Post
I'm sorry your fish died.
I just Googled fish having heart attacks and strokes and they can both happen to fish.
They don't actually choke they get large pieces food stuck in their throats. Remember they don't breathe through their mouths they have gills for that.

thankyou, the only weird thing I noticed was (in the best way I can explain it) he was acting like a human swimmer, it looked like he was gasping for air at the surface but he obviously wasn't because as you said, he has gills for that. he only did it like three times then seemed perfectly fine after that

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com