Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-04-2017, 11:28 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Exclamation goldfish swim bladder issues with unknown cause? PLEASE HELP

hi!

iím new here, but iíve been raising goldfish for eight years now. recently, my last remaining fish has gotten sick. i usually know what to do, but iíve tried everything and he isnít getting better. i was hoping someone else would know what to do.

info:
20 gallon tank, one fish (6inch comet goldfish, eight years old). have a bubbler and a filter system. regularly change the water every week or two. have been feeding him flakes his whole life (which i know i shouldnít do). nitrites/nitrates/ammonia levels are all normal. have treated with API stress zyme bacteria, stress coat, ammo-lock, and melafix. introduced a new goldfish that i rescued from an overcrowded school science tank a few months ago, but that fish died very suddenly a few weeks in. worried that one may have brought in something?

did a 50% water change as soon as i noticed him acting weird. got back from a five day vacation to find him darting around the tank and having some mild swim bladder issues. fasted him for three days, then tried to feed him mushed peas. he wouldnít eat them. his condition got worse and he ended up on his side at the bottom of the tank having issues swimming. started treating him with melafix doses every day. he seemed to get better a few days ago, he was back up and swimming around like nothing had happened. that didnít last, and heís been stuck at the surface of the tank now for two days. he canít swim down at all and is often just floating on his side. has refused every type of food iíve offered (flakes, pellets, and peas). spits out anything thatís hand fed too. as far as i know, he hasnít eaten in over a week now (unless he had a pea or two that i left in there, i didnít count how many went in at the beginning).

i really donít know whatís going on. heís not overfed and never has been, and iím not seeing any outward signs of disease. heís got some fin ripping, but no cloudiness and decay that usually comes with fin rot. think itís mostly from banging around when his swim bladder was at its worst. iím getting worried that he wonít make it. im very attached to him and have been hand raising him since i was 10 years old. definitely donít want to lose him.

any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:56 PM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Hi,

Would you have all water chemistry readings and test kit used.

It could have been a mini-cycle from the new fish and unfortunately by the time you test, the damage is done.

Also unfortunately the tank is too small that you have with that size fish so parameters could go very quickly.

Hope your fish has improved.

Tags
fish, gold, goldfish, swim bladder, unknown

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com