goldfish with a lot of sudden issues.. help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sunny2379

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I have a 4 year old oranda goldfish in a 55 gallon aquarium. she has never been sick before. Her water perimeters are (were perfect) nitrate 20, nitrite 0, ammonia 0, ph 7.5. I check these perimeters a few times a week and do 30-50% water changes 1-2x a week. My goldfish was starting to get lonely and bored so I decided to get her a friend off of liveaquaria. This is when it all goes down..
My new fish was very twitchy and the day after I got him, my 4 year old fish's fins got very red. I checked the water perimeters and they were perfect like always. so i did a tank change and put some aquarium salt in. The next day, she had 3 spots on her head, like ich and her fins were REALLY BAD like all red and starting to rot. so my fiance drove 200 miles to the nearest pet store with antibiotics to get meds that treat hemorrhagic septicemia and fin rot. we started treating my fish tank with maracyn 2, 8 days ago. About 5 days ago, we realized that ich causes secondary bacterial and fungal infections so we drove 200 miles again to get an ich med that we could treat with maracyn 2 (coppersafe). So i have been watching my perimeters closely, now I have no nitrates because the maracyn 2 killed my healthy bacteria and ive been doing 2, 50% water changes every other day to keep the ammonia at 0 and adding more coppersafe (for the new water) and the daily dose of maracyn 2. then, my poor fish started to get a fungal infection. she has cloud eye and her fins have a bunch of white cotton like dots on all of her fins. so I started dosing with maracyn 1 like the box says. so now im using 3 meds, one for gram negative infections, one for gram positive, and one for parasites.. for the most part my poor fish has not gotten any better.. she just keeps getting worse. the only thing that appears to be getting better is the fact that she isn't laying on the ground anymore, she is floating mid water staring into the corner of my tank.. and the new fish goldfish looks like he feels good.

So im just so lost!! I have no clue how else I can try to help her.. im doing everything i can and i need some advice.. i feel like she is going to die within the week if i cant get her fins under control. :(

This is what she looks like

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1472350141054.jpg
    1472350141054.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 1472350178897.jpg
    1472350178897.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 1472350197469.jpg
    1472350197469.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 62
I think maybe the maracyn 2 did not work because of hard water. maybe you could try one of these antibiotics, the oxytetracycline treats both gram + and -
Antibiotic Fish Flake Food
Antibiotic food always works best, especially in hard calcium rich water, it weakens the antibiotic effectiveness, except for kanamycin. The tetracyclines are pretty innefective in hard water in powder form.

Holy cow, I did not even think of that! Than you so much for your reply. I have been at an utter loss..

Thank you!

Do you know if it is safe to keep treating with the powder and food at the same time? Just incase the powder is helping a little bit and I can't tell.

Its not necessary. You may think the food is weak, but in reality its MUCH more effective and economical, as long as your fish is still eating these two will clear it up, i promise.
Feed every 6 hours for 7-10 days.

Just an update. Immediately after Matt replied to my question I ordered peabodies antibiotic flake food on Amazon. I kept treating with maracyn and maracyn 2 while waiting for the medicated food to arrive. On day 10 of maracyn 2 treatment, I got home from work to find Sunny floating on her side and Tolkien (the new fish) pecking at her. I was sure she wouldn't make it. I removed Tolkien from the tank into a small tank. The next day, 11 days of the maracyn 2 and 8 days of maracyn 1, Sunny began showing signs of improvement. The streaks in her tail had gone almost away overnight! The next day, the medicated food arrived and (not noticing I got a reply from matt) I've been treating with it combined with both the maracyn's since. Today, 17 days of treating with maracyn 2, 14 days of maracyn 1, and 6 days of medicated food, Sunny looks like she had made a full recovery! Her fins are pretty short now which makes it funny when she swims but she looks just as happy and healthy as ever. Thank you so much Matt68005.

Sunny

Attachments

• 1473120271555.jpg
    1473120271555.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 28
Back
Top Bottom