Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-17-2005, 06:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Goldfish with Black Smudge

Hi Everyone,

A few weeks ago I posted a topic about a sick goldfish. I found trapped under the internal filter, helped him out and his dorsal fin was partially shredded. Not surprisingly, he developed a white, cotton-like growth on the affected fin (probably fungus). I treated him with Furazone Light for about a week after consulting the forum here and he is more active, eating, and swimming.

Everything seems fine with him except, he has a black smudge on the affected fin. (It hasn't completely grown back yet). Is this cause for concern, or merely the fish healing? Thanks for your help.

Old 11-18-2005, 01:00 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
IMO, likely the fish healing. I'd make sure you keep your water top notch and keep up with it. The fish will heal fine on it's own.

Goldfish also undergo numerous color changes during their life (usually, not always). I'd just keep an eye on it. If it starts to look too odd, then you might want to concern.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 12:49 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it!

-I'll keep an eye on it.

-Erik
Old 11-20-2005, 02:56 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilishturtles
IMO, likely the fish healing. I'd make sure you keep your water top notch and keep up with it. The fish will heal fine on it's own.
I would examine my maintance rutine and see if I couldnt improve it to help this process move along.. 10ppm or less NO3 would be my goal.. more and or larger water changes should help alot.. HTH

Tags
goldfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com