Goldfish with clamped fin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ketias

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 30 gallon tank with 4 goldfish and a weather loach (overstocked, but I do frequent water changes, have 2 filters rated for 55 gallons running and I'm planning on getting a larger tank in the future). I took a 5 week vacation and left my parents in charge of the tanks. They did around 4 25% water changes in that time, but I noticed that my red cap oranda has damaged fins, a clamped dorsal fin and I can see some red blood vessels that I don't see on another one of my goldfish that has a clear tail too. The oranda is swimming around actively and doesn't seem to be acting strange so far. Does anyone have any idea what it could be? Ammonia and nitrite are 0, but nitrate is very high. I suspect the high nitrates could be causing it, but I'm not completely certain since all the other goldfish and the loach are acting normal, even the one with a minor case of swim bladder disease. I'd appreciate any help in seeing what's wrong with one of my little buddies :(

Attachments

• DSCN0421.jpg
    DSCN0421.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 175
And it seems that about 2 hours after the PWC, his dorsal fin is no longer clamped! I guess it was just a nitrate issue :D. Now that the dorsal fin problem went away, will the damaged fin heal or will it stay that way?

Jason7894561230 said:
It should heal but keep up the water changes! You dont want it to get infected :)

Agreed. If you keep the pwc up it should heal pretty quick. Just keep an eye on him and the other fish to make sure.

Back
Top Bottom