Goldfish with ick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoldenPanda

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I'm looking for some advice on how to treat goldfish with ick? I can't seem to find any threads on here specific to ick and goldfish and I really need some help please. I don't have a heater, and I haven't yet bought medicine as iv read it can ruin the beneficial bacteria in the filter. I noticed the white spots on my black Moore a couple of days ago and now my calico fantail has some too. ? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi! Can you please give us some more information so that we can better help you? Tank size? Stocking? Water parameters? Wc schedule? The last time you added a new fish/was it quarantined before adding?

Treating goldfish with ich does not require heat or meds. Fancies do not tolerate high temps well and they can have bad reactions to most common ich meds. Gradually raising the salinity to .3% and maintaining it along with frequent wcs/gravel vacs is the easiest and safest means for treating fancies. Once you provide some more information on your setup and fish, we will be happy to walk you through the process! :)

Oh yes sorry, I have two fancies in a 150 litre tank. Parameters are all fine I think.

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5/10ppm
Ph - 7.2
Temperature usually sits at around 68/70F

I would usually do a 50% water change every 3 or 4 days although this is a new bigger tank so I assume I wouldn't need to change as frequently? (Old tank was about 80 litres).

Thanks! I would still stick to 50% wcs every 3-4 days as 150l is just under 40g. It really does wonders for fish health and growth.

In respect to treatment, you will need to do wcs every other to daily along with good gravel vacs. This will help to remove ich (along with salt) and may be necessary as salt can upset your good bacteria resulting in toxin spikes. If your bacteria are affected, the good news is they recover quickly once the salinity is reduced to normal tap levels.

Based on a 40g tank, you will need to dissolve 11.4grams of appropriate salt per gallon (or approximately 2.5 level teaspoons per gallon) into a container of conditioned water. Weight is a much more accurate means of measurement for salt as different grain sizes will weigh different amounts and have different volumes (kitchen scales work great for this purpose). Once the salt is fully dissolved into solution, do a decent wc then start to add the salt solution gradually over the next 48hrs. Half should be in the tank at the 24hr mark, next half over the next 24hrs.

Then you will just need to maintain the .3% salinity level for one full week to ten days AFTER the last spot is gone. Wcs should be done frequently. When doing a wc, you only want to replace the salt you remove. So, for example a 50% wc, dissolve half of the total amount of salt you originally added into solution and add this solution along with the new water. Once treatment is over, simply return to normal wc schedule and do not add back salt with future wcs. That's about it! Treatment typically takes about two weeks but in more difficult cases, it may be a bit longer. Please ask if you have questions!! :)

Ok thanks for you help :) can I just ask though, is it ok to use table salt? from what iv read online some articles say table salt or sea salt is fine but then others say to only use aquarium salt.

Api aquarium salt in my opinion is best to get rid of ich! Its safe, easy, and its natural ;) i think its 1 tsp per 5 gallons and i think is around 150 litres is 35-40 gallons ;) i thought with goldfish you could raise the temp for 10 days? (Although i've never tried it so don't worry) heat helps really well to kill ich. Im not to sure about the heat thing so just leave it to someone else to answer that but honestly the salt really worked for me!

Best of luck!

Yeah I found some info bout raising the temperature for treating ick but I don't have a heater, and with goldfish being cold water fish it didn't seem like a good idea. Il defo be doing the salt water treatment and il go online and have a look at the API aquarium salt you mentioned. Thank you :)

Yeah once you get the salt thing under way then just see what happens from there ;)

Good luck again :)

API salt is fine but if you only have access to a grocery store at the moment, the best salts are pickling or canning salt. These are just pure NaCl and do not contain iodine or anti-caking additives. Some sea salts are fine but you need to read the label- the ONLY ingredient that should be listed is NaCl (sodium chloride). If anything else is listed (especially if it has a long, chemical name), skip it. Most 100% organic-labeled salt is suitable as well. Some salts found in hardware-type stores such as rock salt, pool salt and solar salt are also fine to use but the same caveat applies to these as well- read the label and skip anything with ANY additives (you just want plain sodium chloride).

Please disregard the 'instructions' on the API salt if you do purchase it as they do not apply here nor do they treat anything. Follow the instructions I outlined above for proper usage of salt with goldfish and ask any questions! :)

Despite the salt treatment, my black moor died ?. He lost his appetite and just lay at the bottom of the tank, he became really thin and weak and got stuck to the filter pipe on one occasion, poor soul hadn't the strength to get away.
I have been following your instruction exactly. All my water parameters have been fine, iv had no spikes but the ph seems to have dropped just a little.
The calico fantail seems to be on the mend, he is a lot more sprightly than he was and is eating well. I am a little concerned about some redness he is developing in his tail fins though, could this be fin rot?

Back
Top Bottom