Goldfish with no belly scales?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsirocks19

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone! I hope you are all doing well :)

I have recently noticed in the past week that my black moore goldfish (about a year and 5 months old) has started to lose scales on its belly. Now, my goldfish is in a nice 29-gallon tank all by itself and it does have some jagged decorations that I believe could have caused this. I have already taken them out today, so we will have to see what happens, but just in case, I decided to post on here too! I will also attach pictures for you all down below :). I did all my water testing and everything checks out—the pH is 7.8ish, the nitrite is 0, etc, so I am definitely unsure what this could be. As you can see in the picture below, my goldfish does not have many scales on its belly and is beginning to lose them too around their front fins as well, so I was just wondering if anybody has any advice.

As of right now, I put some aquarium salt in to aid in the healing, but I in the past, it has not helped as much as I thought it would, especially since my fish has hurt itself on other decorations that I later took out for their safety.

Bonus: If anyone is able to tell me the gender of my goldfish too that would be amazing! I use they/them pronouns, but for the fish's sake I'd love to know :)

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_4278.jpg
    IMG_4278.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4277.jpg
    IMG_4277.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4276.jpg
    IMG_4276.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 26
Losing scales is a weird situation. I think you did a good thing by taking out harmful decorations, hope your black moor gets well! :)

Doing any better?

When you checked parameters you mentioned nitrite but not ammonia. Do you have a test for ammonia? Best to make sure water quality is pristine because that will aid healing! Good call removing the suspect decor!

Back
Top Bottom