goldfish with red spots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shayfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just brought home 2 goldfish that were stuffed in a 5 gallon tank where I work. They now have 33 luxurious gallons all to themselves. But, I noticed that one of them has a red sore looking spot at the base of one of his fins, right behind the gill. I've done some looking around and I think it may be some kind of parasite? I'm not sure. I don't know much about goldfish. Ammonia and nitrite are 0. Here's a pic (sort of... darn thing wouldn't pose for me). You can sort of see the red spot in his armpit.
img_770195_0_d3126675806f756b79a327dcb7c0c62a.jpg

Ideas?

Could be anything. A growth, an infection, etc. I'd leave it for now, could just be product of poor water quality/stress from the 5 gallon tank. It's been my experience that goldfish will perk themselve right back up simply with better water conditions. Make sure the tank is cooler, well filtered, etc. and it might clear up on it's own. :)

If not though, I'd treat first with something mild such as Melafix. If that doesn't work, perhaps an antibiotic such as tetracycline.

HTH

Sometimes its normal in the indentation of a facy fish's armpit. Other times it could be septecemie, costia, or stress-related. So long as no other spots show up, I'd just give the fish a dose of antibacterial medicine and add some salt to the water to make sure the fish are healthy.

Can be just simply mild trauma with netting & transport... The odd bit of blood under a scale usually means nothing & I'd just observe. Good clean water is usually all you need.

If it is actually an open wound or a sore, treatment would be needed. I would just start with a bit of salt (0.1-0.3%) in the tank, and if the fish is big enough to handle, a bit of anti-biotics ointment over the sore (betadine ointment is usually recommended for open sores in golds, but other people had used polysporin & such).

If you see red veins at the base of the fins, or more sinister, lots of bleeding under the chin & face (costia), and or behaviour changes, then I'd consider sepsis & try antibiotic food.

Back
Top Bottom