Goldfish withouth tail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishie

Aquarium Advice Addict
My goldfish I got from work has no tail and was wondering if it will grow back because he might get picked on in my friends pond. He also isn't eating flake food :/

If it was very badly damaged it might not grow back. In most cases it will with clean water. What are the parameters of the tank? Tank mates? Was he nipped at, has fin rot or did you buy him that way? Tank size? What else are you offering him to eat?

Mumma.of.two said:
If it was very badly damaged it might not grow back. In most cases it will with clean water. What are the parameters of the tank? Tank mates? Was he nipped at, has fin rot or did you buy him that way? Tank size? What else are you offering him to eat?

The parameters are perfect (ph is a little high 7.9ish)!!! I got him in my friends 10G for now he will go in pond I hope! He is by himself since I cycled my friends tank at my house (he didn't have room). I just offered him flakes I can offer him blood worms, shrimp. My boss said I could just take him home since his whole back tail was off. I think he got caught by a bigger goldfish or craw fish.

Fishie said:
The parameters are perfect (ph is a little high 7.9ish)!!! I got him in my friends 10G for now he will go in pond I hope! He is by himself since I cycled my friends tank at my house (he didn't have room). I just offered him flakes I can offer him blood worms, shrimp. My boss said I could just take him home since his whole back tail was off. I think he got caught by a bigger goldfish or craw fish.

7.9 is fine. No worries there. Try a pellet food. They can have blood worms but not too many. Also try some blanched peas and broccoli. Keep his water very clean. He's going to make a mess if that 10g fast so change his water every 2-3 days.

Dear Fishie,

I agree that keeping the water pristine, very frequent water changes, and separating him will help to heal your goldie. The tail does not always grow back. This happened to a friend's goldie and "stumpy"--is not four years old and happy as a clam in their pond.
Chris

Blanch off a piece of broccoli, he will love it. Use a clip to keep it in place so he doesn't have to chase it.

Thanks you all! He jus started eating and will eat flakes again! I named him Nubby since he has kinda of a nub. When will it be safe to add him to pond?

Back
Top Bottom