Got ich!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pton46

Aquarium Advice Freak
This past Saturday I did a PWC 50% it had been over a week and this is in my emergency replacement Tank (my other 30 Gal) started leaking , so I got this 60 Gallon. I am in the midst of a Mini Cycle since I had no choice to do a Fish in or Extensive Water Damage to my Wood floors. So Fish in was it.

I reused as much as I could and everything was going good. Now the 60 Gallon has 2 convicts, 2 Tiger Oscars and a Jewel. No issues Water Levels good I even put in a bottle of Safe Start for good measure. Both Filters were heavily Seeded. On Emperor 400 one Whisper 50, I upgraded the Whisper to a Penguin 350 so I'm overfiltered if anything. I noticed after the First PWC after a week of good Levels 7.8 Ph 0.0 Am 0.0 Nitrites and 10ppm Nitrates I'm cruising....well then the Nitrites Spiked in less than 24hrs did a 70% PWC added SeaChem and got it under control....but not long after one of my Tiger Oscars was acting funny and not eating especially after the last PWC of 70% (Tuesday) and this morning (wed) it (not sure if M/F) was alive but floating on its side.

I hurried to get another tank to put it into as a quarantine, using the old Whisper Filter and Media just set it up 85 F , salt. I just shined a Bright light on it....White spots....(they were not on him this morning).

My Fears are my Quarantine tank is not cycled....plus does my main tank now have ICK:banghead:? or did I get him out in time. Any direction advice is greatly appreciated

Also not of the other Fish are showing any signs of ICK at the moment.

By the time ich shows, it's already in your tank, so yes, your tank is infested. (The exception to this is if a fish is bought with ich, but that doesn't sound like what happened here.) You can up the temperature in both tanks to 86-88 and treat it that way--at that heat, it halts the reproduction cycle of the parasite. Salt would kill any that are still free floating, but not strictly necessary.

Try to stay away from chemicals if possible! I've had two cases of ich in my fish keeping experience. I've tried the heat and I've tried chems. The heat worked better and much faster than the chemicals. I lost less fish with heat. Good luck. I know how awful it is.

By the time ich shows, it's already in your tank, so yes, your tank is infested. (The exception to this is if a fish is bought with ich, but that doesn't sound like what happened here.) You can up the temperature in both tanks to 86-88 and treat it that way--at that heat, it halts the reproduction cycle of the parasite. Salt would kill any that are still free floating, but not strictly necessary.

Thanks for the Advice, and Reaffirmed my suspicions,

I added salt at the last water change in the main and added it in the Quarantine tank , But I will turn up the heat on both.

Any Idea how long? I have to go out of town next week my wife is "aquarium challenged" her words.

Using the heat method, you also need to gravel vac every 2-3 days to remove ich spore from the substrate, add an airstone to increase oxygenation and keep this routine going for a minimum of 2 weeks.

Using the heat method, you also need to gravel vac every 2-3 days to remove ich spore from the substrate, add an airstone to increase oxygenation and keep this routine going for a minimum of 2 weeks.

Thanks

My Main Tank has an Air Stone and a Bubble Wall, so I am good there. I will have to get an Air Stone for the quarantine Tank though, oh well off to Petsmart tonight.

You might as well put that fish back into the main tank. Why do twice the work of maintaining two tanks through ich?

Agreed--if his problem is the ich, go ahead and put him back in with the others.

I wish it was that simple....In his/her Reduced state the Oscar has become a Target for the Jewel Cichlid. Normally there are no issues but he/her does not need the extra stress at this point. So right now its doing well in the Q-Tank.
Actually ate a pellet. Also I wanted to get this Tank up and running anyway now I have an excuse.

Is it cycled?

It is not......It was the Tank I fixed which was cycled. I am using Seeded Filter media as well as the substrate prior to the switch to the 60 gallon that is Cycled. I know I will have to PWC daily and be on top of it, but if I put him back in the tank that is "cycled" I think he'll fair worse due to the Aggressive nature of the Jewel and convicts. Catch 22 judgement call ,Put him in a uncycled but safe tank or Cycled in tank which he is stressed from Agression Either way he is seeing some sort of stress but alone I can control and sleep knowing he is not getting picked at. I have the Seachem Prime ready in case of a nitrite spike. Wish me luck....

The Other Cichlids are not showing any signs of slowing down like the Oscar did before he came down with it (the spots) so...until they get worse (maybe) I can put him back...but for now he would not last, he has a tough time even getting to his hiding spot so I'm stuck......I wanted to get this Q-Tank up a couple of weeks ago but then between the leak moving to the 60 gallon and getting that cycled no time, At least I work from Home so I can check on him.

UPDATE, Over 24 Hours of Heat 89 in the main tank, 89 in the Q-Tank, plus Salt dosages. All of the Fish in the Main 60 Gallon are Doing fine...no outward signs..or Stress that I can see, eating well too. I will cut out the salt tomorrow if there is no change but keep the heat up until sunday then lower to 86.
The Q-Tank Shadow the Tiger Oscar. Not so good it looks like the ICK is in a advanced stage...Not eating , Laying on it's side which I believe it due Fin rot...his tail almost looks like it cut in half within 24 hours. Did a 25% percent Water change and with PH 7.6 amm 0 Nitrite 0 and Nitrates .5. He is responsive and comes to the Front of the tank when he sees me or my son.
Really worried about the Fin Rot...is this normal, Thanks all in advanced.

Back
Top Bottom