Got new fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AprilDAWN25

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just got 21 fish from petco online 6 male guppies 12 female guppies and 3 Cory catfish one of the female guppies was DOA then when I woke up another female guppy was floating I noticed a split in one of the males back fin should I treat the whole tank with medicine for fin rot considering that I got them all together and they are the only ones in this tank... just to be on the safe side?

Pictures of the fish and tank?
Have you added anything to the tank in the last 2 weeks (besides these new fish)?

How long has the tank been set up for?

What is the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH of the water?
What sort of filter is on the tank?
How often and how do you clean the filter?
Is the filter run continuously (24/7)?

How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do a water change?
Do you dechlorinate the new water before adding it to the tank?

--------------------

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week or until the problem is identified. The water changes and gravel cleaning will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water and provide a cleaner environment for the fish to recover in. It also removes a lot of the gunk and this means any medication can work on treating the fish instead of being wasted killing the pathogens in the gunk.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise oxygen levels in the water.

Add some salt, (see directions below).

Take pictures of the sick and dead fish, and any other fish that die during the next week and contact the supplier. Let the supplier know about the DOA and what is going on. Send them emails of the dead fish in the bag (if you have it). Keep them informed and they might cover the dead fish. However, don't count on it and let us know the water quality and show us pictures so we can try to work out why they are dying.

--------------------

SALT
You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt), sea salt, or swimming pool salt to the aquarium at the dose rate of 1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres of water. If there is no improvement after 48 hours you can double that dose rate so there is 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, Bettas & gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria, fish, plants, shrimp or snails.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week using only fresh water that has been dechlorinated. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that. This dilutes the salt out of the tank slowly so it doesn't harm the fish.

When you do water changes while using salt, you need to treat the new water with salt before adding it to the tank. This will keep the salt level stable in the tank and minimise stress on the fish.

When you first add salt, add the salt to a small bucket of tank water and dissolve the salt. Then slowly pour the salt water into the tank near the filter outlet. Add the salt over a couple of minutes.

Back
Top Bottom