Gourami and Betta Trouble!!! :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marinetrident

Aquarium Advice Newbie
:)So, I'm new to this forum and I recently started a 10 gallon planted tank. Here is a brief overview of it:
Substrate: Fluorite
Filter: Aquaclear 30
Live Plants: Yes, (Cabomba, Some broad leaf plant, water sprite, micro sword grass, and red tiger lotus which hasn't grown yet)
Lighting: Fluorescent, T8 Bulb
Heater: Yes
Chemicals: Fluorish Excel (1 ml every day), Aqua Ferts (6 tabs every 3 months), Fluorish (1 ml every day), and Seachem Prime (1 ml every water change)

So the other day I went the pet store to get a new betta for the 10 gallon which had 6 neon tetras in it, since my veil tail died after 1 year. :( So, I got a super delta (I think) and then I saw the active gouramis. They looked pretty and were so active. I read somewhere that bettas and gouramis were incompatible and didn't give it much thought other than asking the pet store worker, who OBVIOUSLY said yes. I just bought them (2 dwarf gouramis and betta) like the fool I am. :nono:

They were fine for the first 3 days due to the heavy plant matter keeping them away from each other, till yesterday night...
I got up in the morning and saw large chunks of it's tail missing, and the betta which used to chase and flare at the gourami if it came to close now scatters at the sight of it. So I'm pretty sure an attack by the gourami was done on the betta. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
Now, I know I need to return one of them, so should I return the sick betta or gourami. I don't really want to return them because the gouramis are so pretty and active, but I think I'm more willing to return them than the betta since he will be put in a small bowl. So advice please guys. Thanks. :thanks:

The Gouramis will likely start fighting each other.
1 Gourami or 1 Betta is plenty for a 10g.

Let the Betta stay and heal as no one will buy him with a damaged tail.

Return at least 1 Gourami. If you return both the Gouramis the Betta can be happy in the 10g.

Please also tell the manager you were given bad advice. Gouramis and Bettas fight.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Gouramis will likely start fighting each other.
1 Gourami or 1 Betta is plenty for a 10g.

Let the Betta stay and heal as no one will buy him with a damaged tail.

Return at least 1 Gourami. If you return both the Gouramis the Betta can be happy in the 10g.

Please also tell the manager you were given bad advice. Gouramis and Bettas fight.

I agree with everything Coursair has stated but be more inclined to return both gouramis and keep the betta. More so, I'd call ahead and ask to speak to the manager before showing up to explain the situation first hand. I would also tell him/her that you're expecting a FULL REFUND for the 2 fish since the employee that lead you down this path lacks general fish knowledge that ended bad but could've been worse.

Not saying this is the right or wrong way to handle it, just what I would do.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

Sorry, to be clear. I also recommend return both Gouramis. Or the Betta will need his own 5g if you want to keep a DG in the 10g.

So guys, turns out the manager is willing to take the betta back and give a full refund, and give me 3 female bettas instead. Would that work?
I just feel sad for the little betta, because he'll go back to those small bowls. So I don't know what to do? :ermm:

That's up to you. But 3 females may also fight unless they are already living together. YMMV.

I would keep the male, but that's me. My Bettas live 5-6 yrs with good care.

So I did more research and have decided not to take chances with female bettas since that an also cause a fight. :eek:
So 3 guppies instead?
By the way, the betta's fins keep getting worse, I think it may be fin rot and so I have started using small amounts of salt (2 teaspoons) everyday.
An d Coursair, the female bettas there are in the same tank with no cover t hide from each other and some albino african clawed frogs, so they're on good terms with each other.

Thanks for the article, Fishfur just realized it was fin rot as you said. So now, how do I maintain heat in the 5 gallon bucket I will be moving him to after school tomorrow afternoon? Should I remove the heater from my main tank and put it in the bucket?

Used to have two dwarf gouramis in a tank! People said they would never get along, but the gouramis got alone really well! Always side by side never fought! Also got along with EVERY fish in the tank! A little sucker fish is boss! He is less than an inch and pushed the gouramis around a little! One gourami died ;( bought a female betta and no problems with the female betta and a gourami. Not sure how a male would do, but the female is good! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414542672.797847.jpg weird lighting... But here is the dg and the little Betta's head in the top right! Had a pic of them swimming side by side but I deleted it because it was blurry..

Sent from my iPhone

There are always exceptions. Some fish will be peaceful and get along nicely, and some will be a huge PITA and not get along with anything else.

DG are usually rather shy, but like other labyrinth fishes, males will fight, particularly over females. If there was no female, it may explain why they didn't fight. But you can't count on any fish to be exactly like most of his species. Like humans,dogs, cats and all other creatures, temperament can vary greatly from one individual to another.

So many people told me to get rid of one dg male because they would be mean to each other... They seemed like great friends!! They seemed like social fish!

Sent from my iPhone

As I sent that I looked at my tank and my betta and dg were swimming right next to each other!

Sent from my iPhone

You were fortunate. They are not truly social fishes, and neither are Betta fish. In the wild they do not hang around close to others of their own kind except when seeking a mate and their mating is not a pretty process either. They often do quite a bit of damage to each other while mating. So enjoy your odd couple while it lasts.

Haha it's pretty funny!! Thanks! They are so awesome!

Sent from my iPhone

Back
Top Bottom