Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-03-2011, 12:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Gourami issue

My Opaline Gourami has an issue around his gill. Can't really tell if it is gill or right below the gill plate. (attached some pics). He is in a community tank 56G column, filtering with Fluval 405, been doing 25% pwc every day. Tank has been cycled and occupied for approx 5 months. There has been no new deco or anything. Tucked the fish in for the night on Thursday and woke up Friday to this. My paramaters temp 82f (been a little warm here, heater set to 78), ammo 0, Nitrite 0, nitrate 40, PH 7.6 using the API master test kit. He also is not eating for the last two days. I even tried bloodworms, normally he is first in line, with nothing last night, not even a nibble.
I do have a 2G I can set up with some water and gravel from the main aquarium if I need to quarantine him.
Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated, I don't want to lose this guy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3114.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	42438

Name:	100_3129.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	42439

Name:	100_3137.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	42440

Old 07-03-2011, 02:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

That looks pain full! I have never seen anything like it. I wish I could help! Maybe it is a tumor?

Old 07-03-2011, 03:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

He could have gill flukes. Is he flashing or scraping ??
Old 07-03-2011, 07:47 PM   #4

No flashing or scraping. He is swimming like normal. I don't think it is a tumor either. Only because this wasn't something that grew, it wasn't there at night and was there the next morning.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:47 PM   #5

So now he is flashing against almost everything!!! thank you flossie, I looked up gill flukes and it appears this is what is going on... my molly is starting to show some feathering around her gills too.
So now how do I treat for gill flukes? thank you
Old 07-04-2011, 02:22 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooselbell
So now he is flashing against almost everything!!! thank you flossie, I looked up gill flukes and it appears this is what is going on... my molly is starting to show some feathering around her gills too.
So now how do I treat for gill flukes? thank you
Wow you're so welcome

Symptoms: The fish scrapes itself against objects, rapid gill movement, mucus covering the gills or body, the gills or fins may be eaten away, the skin may become reddened.

There are many species of flukes, which are flatworms about 1 mm long, and several symptoms that are visible. They infest gills and skin much like ich, but the difference can be seen with a hand lens. You should be able to see movement and possibly eye spots, which is not found in ich. Gill flukes will eventually destroy the gills thus killing the fish. Symptoms of a heavy infestations are pale fish with drooping fins, rapid respiration, glancing off aquarium decor, and /or hollow bellies.

Treatment can best be done with a 10 to 30 minute bath in 10 mg per liter of potassium permanganate. Or treat the whole tank with 2 mg per liter, but this method is messy and dyes the water.

I found this online... I'm not familiar with treatment but since we know what it is that's a start I'm sure someone more experienced than me will have the best answer for u I'm so glad I could help
Old 07-04-2011, 02:30 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry I don't know the treatment but I
Wouldn't want to give the wrong advice... I would treat both fish.. Looks like it's a
Tough one
Old 07-04-2011, 05:29 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I think flossie is on the money, also in the backround it looks like you have a very prego guppy!
But hopefully you can get this cleaned up!

Jason's Profile Page
Jason7894561230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:48 AM   #9
come get me tang police!

I don't know if that's flukes or not but the standard treatment for it is praziquantel, there's a liquid product made by hikari called prazipro that works well.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:26 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have read about praziquantel . U could try it ...

Tags
gourami

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com