Gourami troubles...orig posted in wrong category

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thilligoss73

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hopefully someone out there can help me here. I"m a relatively experienced freshwater tank keeper, but as of late, I'm having trouble keeping my Gouramis alive. I've always loved them....I've had Blues, Golds, Pearls, Dwarfs, Honeys, and Sunsets. I"ve always thought they were very attractive, colorful fish, and they get to be a good size for my 60-gallon tank (3-4 inches). And I've always been told that they are easy to keep and very suitable for beginners. My problem is that I haven't been able to keep any alive for more than a year. The Blues and Golds have tended to be the more hardy, they have lasted about 8 months to a year. The others, especially the varieties of Dwarf (Honey, Sunset, Normal Dwarf) always seem to do great for about 3-4 months, then they become reclusive, end up sitting on the floor of the tank, and dying. There isn't ever any signs of disease...no white spots, no fungus, no unusual gill activity. They just become reclusive and die. I've had my water checked at my local fish stores...I've checked at more than one, to get multiple opinions, and they all say my water looks ok. The temp is at about 76-78 normally. I don't have this problem with anything but the Gouramis! Am I just doomed to have a Gourami-less tank?

I would get your own test kit IE API master test kit and test it yourself. They most likely might be doing it wrong. and water parameters can change day to day. Once you get the kit I sure you'll figure out what is going on in your tank. How often do you change the water? How much? Water dechloranator?

Another thing to watch out for is that blue(gold is same species just different color) gouramis can be really aggressive. Normally it's towards their own kind but I wouldn't rule it out.

Back
Top Bottom