Gourami, whats going on?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sherriff

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
image-1750785687.jpg well this beautiful fellow has something horrible looking on his face! :0

image-2997546045.jpg

What is this?! It looks like two scales are missing but the whole mark is odd!!!

It's quite difficult to tell from the pic, but fish can lose scales due to injury. If he is eating and behaving as normal, then he's probably not suffering unduly. If you see any fuzzy white growths on it, then he may be getting fungal infection, secondary to the first wound, if it's a wound. If it's not a wound, I can't imagine what it might be.

In any event, there is not much you can do other than keep the water as clean as clean can be. Extra water changes to help prevent the chance of fungal problems if it's a wound, and if it is missing scales, it should heal with time. I'd have to go look it up to find out if fish can grow new scales but they can grow new fins and barbels, for sure. I'll go see if there's any info on scales.

Edit. a quick search tells me that scales can regrow, and if they were just knocked off by some sort of bang or scrape, they should grow back. If there is a lesion, that is, a deeper wound, there is some chance that only scar tissue will grow, and not new scales. Only time will tell.

Keep the water sparkling and keep an eye on it for any signs of infection from fungus or anything else, and hope for the best. There is often very little we can do for injured fish, beyond keeping their water as pristine as possible. If you can get him some live or frozen foods, it should assist the healing process, being higher quality proteins and fats than most flake foods offer.

He is now dead :(
The other fish are showing no signs of any problems.
Poor pretty guy :( ?

It is a 3-spot gourami which is just a different version of the blue.

ActuAlly its the same fish. Different name. Wouldn't put it past aggression. Blues are great fish just not with other gouramis

I agree...I had 3 (gold, opaline, ande 3 spot) gourami's and within 1 year 2 are gone from aggression...my opaline is still alive and seems more content now the others are gone....sad but true

Yes, a different version of the same fish as I said.
And actually they are the most peaceful members of my community. The pearl gourami unfortunately had caught himself on something in the tank upon inspection.

Back
Top Bottom