Gourami with digestive issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CopperCake

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone. This one's got me stuck. I've lurked around forums like this before and thought maybe someone would have more insight then I do.

Concern:
I just moved my male tiger gourami into a new(cycled for a week) tank. He did well on night one, but the next day he was suddenly colorless and lethargic, then started expelling bubbles from his gills and his vent.

My Theories:
Doesn't seem like a puncture or swim bladder issue. He swims fine when he wants to.
I called the person I originally bought him from who suggested it may be bad food rotting in his belly and releasing air. He only eats one kind of flake food. I offered frozen bloodworms for the first time a few days prior, which I did not see him eat. However I think that theory might be likely.
I'd also like to mention the night before he moved tanks, I've been doing a preventative round of melafix and primafix, wasn't paying enough attention, and accidentally poured primafix directly on him. He may have thought I was feeding him and may have injested it. Never seen any ill effects on guppies when they swim into medication, but I'm unsure with him.

Current treatment:
He's been medicated with furan 2 and aquarium salt for 2 days. Furan 2 didnt seem to have an effect, but aquarium salt seemed to help some. Still overall lethargic, and I'm not sure what to do.

Any advice or ideas would be appreciated.

I’m not sure if related but have bumped off a few fish using melafix/ pimafix that were otherwise healthy. I’ve found (and only an imo) that these should be well mixed into tank water so fish don’t swim through a ‘cloud’ of it.

I can’t find any evidence they are particularly more dangerous for certain fish.

I’m not sure if related but have bumped off a few fish using melafix/ pimafix that were otherwise healthy. I’ve found (and only an imo) that these should be well mixed into tank water so fish don’t swim through a ‘cloud’ of it.

I can’t find any evidence they are particularly more dangerous for certain fish.
Whenever i add anything into the water, i either mix it into a bucket of water and do a 10 litre water change or dose it into the stream of water leaving the filter so it quickly mixes.

I do worry this might be the case, and it was entirely my screw up if so. Is there anything I can do to help this situation?

Back
Top Bottom