Gourami with swollen tummy...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason the Lost

Aquarium Advice Activist
My dwarf gourami hasnt eaten (that I've noticed) in about a week. He kind of hides near the back of the tank and is really skittish. The past couple days it seems as though his stomach/abdomen is getting swollen. Its not a whole body dropsy type swell though. Any ideas?

Could be one of a few different things. If you are able to...net the fish, bring the net close to the surface and very gently feel his belly. Always use stress coat on your hands before handling fish. Is it soft or hard? You can put slight pressure and move your fingers from head to tail direction to see if poop comes out.

What food are you feeding the fish?

Try offering thawed out frozen peas, cracked out of it's shell. If the fish is blocked up, this will serve as a laxative to clear his intestines and bowels.

Refusing to eat is a serious sign and may not accept even the peas. If this is the case, isolate the fish in a hospital tank. Use a garlic additive as an appetite stimulator. Then try offering the peas again. Isolation is a preventative measure just in case he is sick with a disease instead of having a case of constipation.

Always check water quality whenever you suspect something wrong with the fish whether to confirm or deny a problem in that area.

Keep us updated, please.

Excellent advice already posted so I will just add, even though it doesn't look like dropsy, it still could very well be. I had a gourami that started out with just a belly swelling and turned out to be dropsy in a week or so. Yes please do keep us update.

Cant seem to catch him, but he does now have a long (roughly 2") strand of white poo hanging from him.

I feed them omega one flake food and frozen blood worms twice a week.

Back
Top Bottom