GREEN FUZZY MOLD on Decoration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I noticed green fuzzy mold?? on my colosseum decoration just now... The colosseum is supposed to LOOK old style rusted out underwater thing... The bright green isn't what I mean.. That is color of decoration... It only had some diatoms on it until i saw this...
The fuzzy mold is a thin layer at the moment... Same color as a live moss ball... In the pics the mold looks brown, but you will (hopefully) be able to understand what I mean...
It appears my Oto is eating it... What is it?

View attachment 89769

View attachment 89770

View attachment 89771

View attachment 89773

From reading the article above it looks most similar to this:
Quotes are taken directly from the article above.

Beard algae

Grows on plant leaves and is bright green. Individual strands have a very fine texture but it grows in thick patches and looks just like a green beard. It grows up to 4 cm. It cannot be removed mechanically. This does not indicate bad water quality but grows very fast and overtakes the tank, making it a "bad" alga. Can be eliminated with Simazine (Aquarium Pharmaceuticals "Algae-Destroyer").

(my algae ISN'T bright green but more of a moss ball green)

Algae-Eating Fish

Black mollies
Black sailfin mollies are excellent candidates for the break-in period of a planted tank since they are cheap and easy to find. They are usually considered expendable and are removed after a month or so. It is important to NOT FEED THEM. If they are fed, they will not be quite so eager to consume algae. When they are hungry, they are eager consumers of most algae types seen during the break-in period.

My first thoughts are... HOW can a website suggest to get a "throwaway fish" just to fix an algae problem???!

I'm going to get 2-3 more Otos to up my group to 4... And see how it goes from there.

Mumma.of.two said:
Yes, sorry should have mentioned it's a good ID site but gives bad solutions. Try cutting back your photo period also.

You mean lights? I only have one light strip so I switch it from one tank to the other... This tank is my 29g... And I move strip to my 20g other half..,
Maybe 9 hrs on 29 & 7 hrs on 20g.
Should I cut that in half?

Mumma.of.two said:
Yes. Photo period = time lights are on. 9 hours isn't overly long but I'd still cut it back to 6-7 hours. You can always manually remove it too.

Since it's only on the colosseum I could run super hot water all over it.... Right?

Back
Top Bottom