Green Spotted Puffer not eatting? Spike in Amonia readings..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thetmaxx

Aquarium Advice Activist
So my main concern was about 3 days ago my puffer started refusing food. he's about as active as normal, but won't eat.

The 29 Gallon tank gets a 25-35% PWC weekly,
I maintain a SG of 1.012.
Temp is about 78*F.
Ammonia is at .25ppm
Nirites are 0ppm
nitrates are 10-20 (hard for me to read the liquid test kits colors)
ph is 7.8
SG dropped to 1.010 as i ran out of salt on last PWC.

It has had a horrible brown/green water algae bloom in the last month I've been trying to get under control. He gets fed a portion of a frozen cube (Brine Shrimp/Bloodworms/and a mixture of things called "Emerald Entree" by SF Bay Brand) Once a day, lighting stays on a bit long, tried to cut that back, no change. So I dosed the tank with API's Algae Destroyer. Wow, that worked pretty good, even though I realize it's just a band-aide.

After the green cloud was gone, i realized the tank is slightly white cloudy still. so I did a 75% PWC and changed the physical part of the filter (not the AC which is no longer active, or the Bio-Filter pack. It's an Aqua Clear 50) Anyways, his belly is turning a Brownish.

BTW Puffer is about 1.5-2"(I tried to get a picture of him but he hates the camera!) if anyone has any input of information, or opinions about my current situation that would be great. I'm going to try to feed him still (blood worms as they seem to be the healthiest?) and watch the ammonia. I wonder if the algae destroyer killed bacteria?

I am guessing the algae crap caused a mini cycle. Keep an eye and maybe change water again. Maybe wait a day before trying to feed him again.

Back
Top Bottom