Grey Spots On Goldfish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fraz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I didn`t know where to post this, so I posted it here. I have a Coldwater tank with a light (not sure about any details of it, but I can find out) and an aquarium plant. In my tank I have a goldfish (Larry) and he has grey almost black spots on his sides in front of his gills. They appeared a couple of days ago and have slowly started to spread! He has been flicking his tail out as well, not against things, but just in space (if you get what I mean). What can I get to cure him, before it spreads to my other fish??

Thanx for any advice! :)

Some more details will help. What size tank is this? How long has it been set up? Are there any other fish in it, and do you have any that were added recently? Can you test the water for pH, ammonia, and nitrates and give us the results? (Use drop type tests, not strips.)

A picture is always worth a thousand words...any chance we can see one? Or two?

Better description of the spot will help as well. Is the spot raised, or sunken like a crater? Is there a scale over the spot or is the scale missing? Or perhaps it is a spot on top of the scale?

What size is the fish? How old? And how big is the spot? What kind of gold fish is it?

As usual, tank size & water parameter is important to know, also the other tank occupants.

When dealing with unknown illness, the first thing to do is to check the water. In an established tank, 99% of time, it is a water issue. Doing a 50% pwc on spec is not a bad thing either.

Do the spots look like little grains of salt? Are they on the fins and tails also? It might be ick, but I would need a better description on the spots

Back
Top Bottom