Growth on Angel's eye?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Everlasting

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've got a large angelfish who I've had for a little over a year now. In the last few days he's developed a growth under his eye and I'm not sure what exactly it is. I've taken pictures of it which I'll post below. I have a community tank, but none of the fish are really new additions. The newest fish in the tank is a blue ram who a few days before the Angel started having his eye problems got a white spot in his tail. I've had tanks for awhile, so my first reaction was that it was Ich but when I looked at it closer the spot didn't seem right? I can't explain why...maybe it looked more ingrained in the tail than Ich does. Anyways, to be on the safe side I treated the tank for two days like I would normally (and I've never had Jungle not clear up Ich in that time period), but the dot wasn't gone and he actually had another dot in his tail and 2 in his dorsal fin.

None of the other fish have any of these signs, and his eating and behaviour is not affected by whatever this is. So I'm really unsure of if these two things are related? Or if they are separate problems. I tried to take a picture of these dots in his tail as well, but after well over an hour, he just wouldn't sit still for a picture. I posted the closest one I could get.

The tank is a 30 gallon with a penguin 200b power filter. I do weekly water changes and have black tahitian moon sand as my substrate. The angel is the only angel in the tank currently, along with the ram, some fancy tailed barbs, platies, a yoyo loach, an albino rainbow shark, rummy nose pleco, and an albino corycat.

So if someone can help me figure out what the issue is and recommend what type of meds to use I would really appreciate it. I'm quite attached to this angelfish! Thanks in advance for any help.

img_1148389_0_3bdd7a21432d9bc7d5161ab48bfb3f45.jpg

img_1148389_1_101bd771a47443f8f0e0eb2f67ee994d.jpg

img_1148389_2_a454bc68ff969dd4bd39f6318df33a1d.jpg

img_1148389_3_b43a0f24fc601c2843a5a5f4bc49499f.jpg

img_1148389_4_84fa9ffe00e3f1cbad1b1798bfcf488b.jpg

i dont have a test kit for water hardness but I just did a look up online for my town and it says that our water hardness is 13 which I think is either slightly or moderately hard correct? And my pH is usually alkaline. My pH level doesn't fluctuate and since it doesn't seem to bother to the fish I do not normally try and chemically adjust it. If it is the hardness in the water, is there a reason that it's bothering the Angel now ? Or why the smaller fish are not affected?

Fluid build up behind the eye normally means a mineral imbalance (too hard or soft water, too saline, not saline enough) or internal parasites. Considering you've had him so long in that water I would say the latter.

Back
Top Bottom