Growth on Angels mouth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishyfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
1~What type of fish is afflicted? Angel
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Ammonia/Nitrite = 0. Nitrate barely reading.
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up? 29 gal, setup for about 3 years.
4~What type of filtration are you using? Was an Eclipse system. Now it's an AC70. Just installed this evening.
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes? The Angel and a Candy Stripe Pleco. The pleco is approximately 2 1/2 inches in size. The Angel size can be seen in the photos.
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time? Yesterday. 75% weekly pcw.
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them? About a year or so.
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? Yes, but not before the growth has occured. Today put in a new light strip, hood, filter, heater, and pump
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? NLS Community Pellets

What is the growth on my Angels mouth? My husband thinks it could be from her smashing her face against the glass. She does it all the time when trying to get our attention. It's on the tip of her mouth, as seen in the photos. It's been growing for about a year or so.

img2462.jpg

img2461.jpg

It looks like a tumor but you might very well be right, she may be getting a growth from repeated injuries, kind of like a cyst. I haven't got any answers on how to treat it unfortunately. Does she still eat normally?

Looks like Lip fibroma. I had heard of this but it wasn't until I searched for the symptoms when I found this statement at Angelsplus.com

My angel fish have developed a large, bubble-like growth on their lips. They are having difficulty eating. What is this? What you're seeing is probably a lip fibroma. There is a study that suggests this is caused by a virus, that only activates when the angelfish is under stress. There is some evidence that it usually affects female angelfish, or at least that they are more susceptible. There is no cure, just as the cure for most viruses have not been found. I would not try to use such an angelfish as a breeder, because no one knows if there is a genetic factor influencing the angel fish's susceptibility to this virus. Euthanasia is generally recommended to prevent a slow death by starvation. However, some have reported being able to carefully cut the growth off and not have it re-grow.

Since the growth has been present for over a year (and is eating?), you need not worry about it.

HTH.

Wow, Thanks! She's eating normally and the growth is only on her top lip. I figured it was just from her smashing her face against the glass. She does it all the time when we come around the tank. The growth started right after we brought her home. Something in my tank? The only other inhabitant is a small pleco. How could she be stressed? I was going to try and add her to my 55 gal but if it's a virus I don't want to possibly infect my other Angels. I was hoping it was something that can be cured. I didn't have plans to breed her since I don't want to move her in with another angel who may pick on her fins. So I need a stress reducer......

BTW, no way am I going to cut that thing off myself.

Considering that she couldn't be stressed while in your tank, I would gather that it started prior to bringing her home. My understanding is once it starts, it doesn't stop.

no way am I going to cut that thing off myself.

What, no "Dr. Fishy"?

As an after thought, you should let the source of your Angel know.

lol I put on the lab coat for API testing but in no way could I lay out my Angel and bring a knife close to her face. I'd be afraid of her flopping at the wrong time or cutting off too much. Maybe my vet can do it. :)

When we go back to this particular lfs I'll let them know. She was in a 55 gal tank with about 50 other Angels when we bought her. Maybe that was the stress point?

I'm thinking of planting the tank and possibly adding some docil tetras like Rummies just to give her some tank mates. no other angels obviously.

Back
Top Bottom