Growth on Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maestromad

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all,

I'm hoping someone can help. My betta has a growth near his top fin, it has been there for a month or so but is getting larger. He doesn't appear adversely affected swimming and eating normally etc.
I have just completed a course of maracyn plus but it doesn't appear to have made a difference.
His other tank mates are chilli rasboras and two assassin snails, I have no clue how he has got this?

Does anyone know what it is?? All advice greatly received ?

Attachments

• image-2691057749.jpg
    image-2691057749.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 152
  • image-1458677847.jpg
    image-1458677847.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 148
It looks like lymphocystis, sometimes called 'cauliflower disease'. Its caused by a virus that causes cells to enlarge and there is no accepted treament/cure other than providing supportive care. Pristine water conditions along with a healthy nutritious diet will help to support the immune system so he can fight it. Usually, it will resolve itself on its own timetable & he will be left with scar & its not a fatal disease. However, if it starts to impact his quality of life (eat, swim, breathe) or causes secondary infections, it will need to be further addressed.

Thank you for the response. We have had some water issues with extreme algae causing a problem. So would you just suggest plenty of water changes? No salt treatment or anything?

I'm so glad it's not fatal as I've had my betta the longest and he has loads of personality ?

Also jlk I have just noticed that his top fin is starting to get small holes in it, is this to be expected with this type of problem?

Hmm.... is it directly above the growth where the holes are appearing? I am guessing here that the growth may be limiting blood supply to the area and the areas are starting to die off. If it looks infected or becomes worse, I would try another course of antibiotics just to try & prevent any infection from spreading through the fin.

The holes are more towards the end of the fin and its starting to look like the fin is melting. Would the addition of salt help at all? He seems quite happy coming up to me looking for treats haha

I suspect it has to do with blood supply. Salt really won't make much of difference. If there's any signs of infection, I would another course of meds. And lots of healthy water. Good luck!

Thank you. He's not adversely affected in any way still loves his food and comes to say hello. Ill up my water changes for a few weeks and hope the lump doesn't get any bigger

Just an update to see if there are any more suggestions. I don't think the growth has got bigger, but it does appear to have smoothed out and is less cauliflower like - is this a sign of improvement?

Is he a dragon scale? Not sure but I heard they have more issues with thick epidermis and perhaps tumors, although any Betta could

I don't think he's a dragon scale and this growth has come on over the past couple of weeks

Here's a photo from today I think it's got bigger

Attachments

• image-3055156449.jpg
    image-3055156449.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 119
I wish I could offer a simple solution here but there really isnt one. A vet could remove the growth but it may return. If it isnt affecting his quality of life, all you can do is keep the water healthy and feed him a good diet.

Ok thank you. I've ordered some NLS betta pellets today to add to his betta flakes and have purchased some brine shrimp too.
Think I've spoilt him a bit!

Quick update, the growth has grown larger and his top fin had started to really suffer now.
I've kept up the clean water and fed NLS pellets he still seems himself but does hang out on his filter quite a bit but will swim out to see me.
I've done some reading and it's been suggested that quick cure may help does anyone have any experience or input??
Thanks guys hate seeing him disfigured like this

Just noticed that he has a small amount of what looks to be fungus on the tip of fin near to the growth I only have myaxzin and maracel two powder here is it worth trying?

Attachments

• image-655810698.jpg
    image-655810698.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 143
Its noticably larger. Your welcome to try the maracyn2 if his top fin is showing signs of infection. It will not treat the tumor though and only a vet could offer any type of substantial intervention (ie, surgical removal). Unfortunately, there is no simple solution. If its becoming a quality vs quantity of life issue, its a decision you will need to make for yourself. I wish I could offer something more here. :(

I would, if I had 50-75 Bucks to throw at this, just go see an all-pets vet

He may need it removed or lanced or at least identified

Thanks guys. It's not affecting his swimming or anything yet he still comes to see me and chases off his tank mates if they get more attention! I really can't afford to take him to a vet at the moment although I may try and find one in the area who deals with fish. I'm in the UK and veterinary treatment is so expensive
Hopefully it will go away soon. I've had him for ages and he's definitely my favourite!

Back
Top Bottom