Guppies and water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vi_ha1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just recently did a 50% percent water change like a do every week and I notice every time I do water change my fishes stays on top of the tank. Is that a normal thing or what am I doing wrong? I have a 30gal tank. For my water change I added tetra easy balance and stress zyme (api)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Your Fish

I just recently did a 50% percent water change like a do every week and I notice every time I do water change my fishes stays on top of the tank. Is that a normal thing or what am I doing wrong? I have a 30gal tank. For my water change I added tetra easy balance and stress zyme (api)

Hello Vi...

If you look at your Guppies, you'll noctice their backs are very straight. This tells you they're top feeders. It's very normal for them to spend most of time swimming at the top of the tank.

Changing half the tank water weekly is sound tank management. I use Seachem's "Safe" to treat the tap water and add a bit of standard aquarium salt. Roughly a heaping teaspoon to every 5 gallons of new water. A little helps the interworkings of livebearing fish. I believe the term is "osmoregulation".

Anyway, the salt is optional, but the large, frequent water changes are not. Add some Hornwort to the tank water. It will help maintain a stable water chemistry.

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

B

You don't need Stress Zyme at every change if its (the tank) already cycled. Or even stress coat. Just buy some cheap plain old "tap water conditioner", the other stuff is overrated.

Ok so as you know I did a 50% water changed and I change out my 2 month ish old filter, I just did a water test my ammonia level is 2.0 ppm, nitrate is 160 ppm, and nitrite is at zero. So is it normal that because of the new filter or should I do another water change?

No,its not normal, Sounds like your overfeeding alot. There should be enough Benifical bacteria to keep the tank free of ammonia left in the substrate to reseed the filter, should be washed off ever time it gets clogged up, and don't vacum the entire substrate, do half one week and the other half the next, or do here and there. Try looking at the food from below the waterline, as it floats on the surface, and then adjust down the amount you feed, even if it means going around a few times just a tiny little pinch adds up to alot of ammonia if uneaten, give a little bit then feed again not just dump it in there at once.
2 ammonia is seriously bad Keep doing daily or 2x a day PWC without vacuming until its close to 0.

Ok so as you know I did a 50% water changed and I change out my 2 month ish old filter, I just did a water test my ammonia level is 2.0 ppm, nitrate is 160 ppm, and nitrite is at zero. So is it normal that because of the new filter or should I do another water change?

If you removed your filter cartridge and put in a new one you threw away your beneficial bacteria so yes the ammonia spike would be expected.

Typically you never want to change more than 30% of the media in your filter at one time. It isn't good for anyone but the people who sell filter cartridges. You can modify what is in your filter to facilitate that, you'll get a lot of suggestions if you post the question over in the general forum.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

If you removed your filter cartridge and put in a new one you threw away your beneficial bacteria so yes the ammonia spike would be expected.

Typically you never want to change more than 30% of the media in your filter at one time. It isn't good for anyone but the people who sell filter cartridges. You can modify what is in your filter to facilitate that, you'll get a lot of suggestions if you post the question over in the general forum.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.
True but also depends on substrate and how long his tank has been setup, if its gravel and been setup for a few months he should be OK with rinsing off the filter pad under cool tap water or in his bucket to get it to flow again. I really think its just overfeeding and too much of a cleaning, just a mini-cycle.

My tank has been set up probably over 6 months now. So should I do like 25% water change?

If the water is still testing positive for ammonia, yes, do a water change. Are you pretreating your replacement water with a de chlorinatior such as prime because that is important.

If you are using tap water - as I do - make sure the city hasn't changed anything with water treatment.

To clean the filter media, soak it in removed water. On the rare occasions that I change out my filter bag, I put the old bag behind it until enough BB has built up in the new one.

Wait I hope you meant stress coat not stress zyme..... one is a declorinator, the other a prohibiotic.

Ammonia is too high. Get a bottle of prime to use with water changes. What size tank and how many guppies? If it's overstocked then you will continue to have problems.

Yeah because as soon as you said that, he stopped answering. I think you were right on the money.

Back
Top Bottom