Guppies died now Tetras are growing fur

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HilaryR

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! I hope I can provide enough info for someone to help me, but I'm afraid I might be lacking.

July 9 (this year)- Set up a 20 gallon aquarium. Put "multi purpose conditioner" in the water.

July 10- added some live plants to the tank. I was unconcerned about them dying because they were free. I also added 2 Apple Snails that are each about 1.5" tall. I fed the snails apple or cucumber before bed every night, then took out what was left every morning. They were hungry, active and seemed happy exploring.

The tank was running with a Marineland Penquin 150 Bio-Wheel power filter. The tank holds pretty steady around 76/78 and I do turn the light on during the day then off at night.

July 17- I took a water sample to the store to make sure my snails were happy. They told me that the tank was actually ready for fish, so I got 5 glow light tetras. The tetras settled in nicely. I fed them North Fin Premium Community food (and broke the pellets in half for their tiny mouths).

July 26- I returned to the store with another water sample and was told that I was still good to go, so I got 3 fancy female guppies and 1 male. They never really settled in. They were eating every day (same food as the tetras), but they were very inactive and mostly hid in the top back corners of the tank or behind the heater. Sometimes when I came down in the morning, the male was lying in the gravel. I went back to the store (they hate me and all of my questions!) and was told that guppies are shy and my male might "just be a little weird"

August 2- I brought home a little cup of Salvinia. I was hoping that the floating plants would make my guppies feel more comfortable.

August 4- Tank was fine in the morning, but in the evening every single one of my guppies died in a matter of hours, and both of my snails climbed entirely out of the water for the first time. Tetras seemed completely unfazed.

August 5- I took a water sample to the store and was told "PH is a little low and there is a bit of ammonia, but that is probably because fish died in there." "Guppies are weak, so they're usually the first to go" and "snails get out of the water all the time." (Sigh) They did sell me a product called 'Matrix' by Seachem to add to my filter and I did a 25% water change. (As soon as the water change was done, by snails got back in the water).

August 7- I noticed that my tetras are growing white fur. 2 of the 5 are very fuzzy around the gills and forehead, but I think they all have spots of it. They're still active and hungry. I'm going to attach pictures if I can figure out how.

Tomorrow I'm going to go back to the store for a test kit, as I think having that may have saved my guppies. (Are the ones you just leave in the tank accurate?).

I'm just not sure what to do about my little tetras?! If there is something I can get to help them, I want to do it ASAP.

I'm also worried about ever getting more guppies. Did I kill the poor little things with those floating plants?

Thank you!

I'll start off by saying that I'm a relative newbie myself to fish keeping. Is that water change you listed the only one done in that time frame you posted? If so that could be the problem. Also I'd definitely recommend getting your own test kit, specifically the API master kit as most on this site will tell you that it's probably the best and most accurate one you can get and it won't brake the bank. Pet shops telling you the water is "fine" or has a "bit" of ammonia really isn't useful because you don't know the true parameters of your water. As far as the fur on your fish that sounds fungal to me but I'm definitely not the most knowledgeable on fish diseases yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Get a liquid API master freshwater test kit.
Your tank is probably not cycled and you need to change water?
Have you ever changed water in the tank?
The fuzz sounds like columnaris.
Kanamycin and furan 2 (both in combo) are the preffered effective treatment.
Good luck and check back in.
If you want to giggle ask the pet store to write down your actual test results!
Don't get more fish till we clear up your tank issues.

The stores either lie to you about your parameters or don't tell you to sell fish. Get your own API Freshwater Liquid Master Test Kit to test the parameters. In a fully cycled tank, there should be little ammonia, never more than 0.25 PPM, no nitrite and less than 20 PPM of nitrate. when you do water changes, do you change out the filter cartridge completely If you do, than you are taking out all the Beneficial Bacteria (BB) that lives in the filter. Most of your BB lives in the filter anyway so make sure you don't change it out until it is literally falling apart. As for the sickness, is it sprouting out from the gills? This could be an extreme case of gill flukes. I don't know treatment for it other than Sera Mycopur, but that isn't allowed in the U.S anymore. If you can get your hands on it then get it. Look up gill flukes and then columnaris to see which one it looks like more.

Thank you all so much! It's very comforting to know that there are other humans concerned about my little creatures.

I haven't been touching the filter at all when I do water changes, and I did do a water change a couple of days after adding the tetras, then a couple of days after adding my guppies.

Definitely no intentions of adding more living things to my death tank until everything is stable!

I got a test kit and did a 25% water change. PH is lower than 6 even after the water change, so that has me stressed out. I'm going to go to a different store right now to see if they have something that can help me bring that up. GH, KH and Nitrates are all 0.

For the Tetras I got something called SulfaPlex, which is just sulfatiazol. It wasn't mentioned above, but it was the best option available to me this morning. I removed the carbon filter so that it won't get pulled out of my water.

I did look up Gill Flukes and Columnaris, which led me to find Saprolegnia. I'm not sure how similar that is to the other 2, but it looks like it might be what's growing on my little guys. They also look like their colour is fading today. I've had great success with sulfa drugs and mammals, so I'm hoping this helps the little fellas bounce back quickly.

Don't get buffers for your pH yet!
set a sample of your source water aside for 24 hrs and then test it.
Most water will change/stabilize some as it outgases.
Test your ph again tomorrow.
Then if it needs to come up we can help you choose the proper product.

Thank you! I'll wait until tomorrow and test again before messing with it more. One of my snails is peeking out of his shell, so I'm taking that as a good sign for now.

I should have come here sooner. I wish I could have a do-over with advice from the start.

Baking soda is not a bad thing but not accurately measuring and calculating what is needed is!
In order for any buffer to work you need to boost your KH first or along with.
The Kh is the stabilizer for ph and without a decent kh your ph will swing like you and your fish will not like!
Crushed coral works for many but in the tank it does not adjust new water till fish have to deal with it IMO.
If you want to adjust your water it will be like re mineralizing ro water and need to be done everytime!
I re mineralize my water but I prepare it ahead of time in containers so I know it always correct before adding to the tanks.
What was your pH today .

Thanks. PH was just about 6 today.

I actually kind of like the idea of prepping and treating water ahead of time. Is there a "best" product to use for that?

You would need calcium,bicarbonate, and magnesium.
In English ;calcium chloride(ice melter),Bicarbonate(baking soda) and magnesium(Epsom salt).
I add around 1/8-1/4 teaspoon of each to my ro in a 32g Rubbermaid garbage can(several actually!).
Mixing ahead of time allows source water to adjust and the minerals to mix nicely in water.
This is a current thread on re mineralizing water.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/gh-and-kh-buffering-experiment-339090.html

Antibiotic Fish Flake Food Either one of these will clear that up in a few days.
Have you tried a product called "proper PH" that is also a water conditioner and a buffer. I think its made by API. Sets it at 7 7.6 or 8.
But its better to juts let fish adapt to YOUR water rather than constantly shift water conditions to try to meet what is in their "native" environment, those fish have never seen their native environment.....lol....their just use to florida's water not where you live.

Back
Top Bottom