guppies dying one by one!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbsnac

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! I have a 12 gallon square fresh water fish tank with some cherry shrimp, one nitrile snail, octo fish, and a few guppies. I started buying guppies when my tank was about 6 months old and fully cycled and the parameters were stable and still are at Ph 7.4-7.8, No2 0, No3 0, Nh3 0 Nh4 0-0.25, temperature is steady at 78F. I have real plants in the tank I'm nor sure of the names but I'll try to post a picture.

I've bought guppies all male between 2-5 at a time depending how many were still alive in the tank. They seem to pass away one at a time from the minute i see changes in their behavior to dead around 3-4 days. They seem to loose their appetite followed by less swimming and hover either at the top or bottom of the tank and then get bloated and pass away. Today i noticed he had a red streak along his belly when he was passing away. I can't see any itch or parasites and can't see any scratches or wounds.

I usually buy them at a reputable fish store in town but about 2 months ago with pandemic shut downs i ended up getting too excited and bought 2 from a pet smart which the one is still striving. I can't see any of the tank mates being aggressive though the shrimp are thriving and like to come steal some flake food from the fish. I feed my fish flakes and once a week blood worms and rarely will drop in a cucumber for the tank to enjoy.

I acclimated the fish slowly in the span of 5-8 hours letting the bag they came in float at the top of my tank and every 30mins or so will add around 15ml of tank water to the bag to eventually put them in the tank with a net.

the bottom of my tank is substrate and small white rocks, i do have a few shells, petrified wood, drift wood and a couple big rocks. I have live plants at the bottom and 3 types of duckweed type plants. I have a filter system with bio media and carbon media, a tank water heated automatically set for 78F and recently added a air bubbler.

Back
Top Bottom