guppies looked like mouths dipped into flour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sule

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Help my guppies look like they dip their mouths into flour and one is prego

PLEASE I NEED ASSURANCE and help. I had one tank that has been cycling with 6 guppies in it and one very prego guppy was already in a cycled tank. I noticed a huge spike of nitrites few days ago and I lost 2 male guppies who were swimming with their nose up and dimmed patches of color on their tail. I did remove the remaining 4 with the female until cycle completed, thinking it was nitrite poisoning. Today,I noticed prego guppies mouth and 3 males mouth has light beige to white discoloration. 2 feeding well, one has lost almost all it's color in tail and stopped eating. Ammonia 0, NH2 and NH3 0, pH 7.5, Cl O . Used liquid testing kit. I raised the them temp to 82, salt 1tsp/gal, melafix today. I really love to save this fish. There are 6 platies, 1 molly and 1 corry on the other tank with 6 platy fry, and they seem very healthy and active. Please get back to me soon. I am waiting on line.:cool:

Last edited:
I had nitrite spike that killed 2 guppies. I did 3-4 50% water changes in 2 days and removed the 5 guppies with a prego female in a 10 gallon tank and left 5 platies, 1 molly in cycling tank. This morning I noticed 4 out of 5 guppies including the very pregnant female in tank developed white plaques around mouth. 3 of them not interested in brine shrimp although they are swimming well still. I added additional salt in the tank ( there is already 1tsp/g) and raised temp, added 1 tsp malafix. It doesn't appear to be ich like, not salt like, more like they dipped their mouth into flour, I do not see any stringy substance either. Skin and scales look OK. I really like to keep them alive, please help me. What is this and what causes it, how can I rid of it? I use liquid testing kit. Cycled tank has NH2 and NH3 0 pH 7.5 Ammonia 0, Cl 0; thank you thank you thank you.

If you raised the temp and added Melafix, you will need to lower the water level or add an air stone, since they both take oxygen away.

I agree with James, I would look at columnaris, and you will need more than Melafix for that. :(

Welcome to AA. Moved this to the FW sick fish forum. More people will see it there. Also merged both threads together.

Back
Top Bottom