Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-02-2017, 02:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Guppies normal swimming behaviour

I bought 4 male guppies today to go in my 64l tank with my neon tetras. They have been in there now for about 5 hours maybe more, and are staying at the top mainly! My question is, what is normal guppy behaviour and will they come down when more settled? I checked my tank parameters two days ago and they were, ammonia 0.50, nitrate and nitrite 0, I have done two 10l water changes in two days

Old 10-02-2017, 03:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Guppies normal swimming behaviour

Things check out ok considering your ammonia should have gone down after those water changes how many neon tetras do you have in there that could be a reason they are staying at top if there's not much room for swimming towards the middle but it's not unusual to see strange behavior when fish are first moved into a new aquarium so give it a few days to let them become acquainted to there new environment
Old 10-02-2017, 04:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

10 neons, the neons aren't bothering them much, just go up now and again to look at the guppies
Old 10-03-2017, 04:10 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Seems my black guppy is now going yellow, is this normal?
Old 10-03-2017, 04:13 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0501.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	304167 this morning
Old 10-03-2017, 04:14 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0489.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	255.5 KB
ID:	304168 last night
Old 10-03-2017, 11:04 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm not a guppy expert and personally haven't kept them but a fish changing colors overnight is never a good thing this could be because of extreme stress are you sure all tank parameters are ok because Guppys aren't the most sensitive fish and it takes a lot for this sort of a change to occur
Old 10-03-2017, 02:05 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Will check them tomorrow, I've done a 10l water change today. In the store he looked black, but the whole tank had a blue light! In the pick where I got him home he does have a hint of yellow. He will have been stressed on the journey home so maybe the latest pic is of his true colours which I think is dark blue and yellow! The other guppies have brightened up too! They all fed today and are all swimming and sticking with each other. I will keep a close eye on them all until I know what's normal or not

Tags
behaviour, guppie, guppies, swimming

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com