Guppy Damaged Tailfin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tristanf

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is one of my male guppies in a 20 gallon tank. This is the second guppy i have had that has had this long narrow piece of their tailfin come off. I have a few fake plastic plants in the aquarium and 2 of them appear to have sharp edges. None of the other fish in the tank (2 male guppies, dwarf gourami, gold dust molly, 5 harlequin Rasboras) have ever shown signs of aggression and have always been peaceful. Are there tails being cut by the fake plant?

Attachments

• B3093AFC-BD48-49F5-AB2A-8AFCF001E1F3.jpg
    B3093AFC-BD48-49F5-AB2A-8AFCF001E1F3.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 38
Hello tris...

This Guppy doesn't look healthy to me. What's your tank maintenance routine? In particular, your water change routine. A 20 gallon tank needs half the water removed and replaced every few days.

B

Hello tris...

This Guppy doesn't look healthy to me. What's your tank maintenance routine? In particular, your water change routine. A 20 gallon tank needs half the water removed and replaced every few days.

B

Thanks for your response! I change the water once a week usually 30-50%. I had an ammonia spike so I did an extra water change this week. The ammonia has went back down now though.

Is the tank still cycling or was there some other known reason for the ammonia spike? Have you checked nitrites to ensure they’re gone as well.

Is the tank still cycling or was there some other known reason for the ammonia spike? Have you checked nitrites to ensure they’re gone as well.

The tank is cycled. It may have been too many fish added at one time because I added three guppies at once 6 days after adding 5 Rasboras. Nitrites are at zero, ammonia is the only thing that’s gone up.

Fish lost entire tail and passed away, thanks for your responses

Back
Top Bottom