Guppy Deaths - water level advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

obiwankenobi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My male guppy died yesterday. He was flicking a few days ago and I've been doing 25% water changes for the last 10 days. The ammonia has gone down but like I said he died yesterday. Now one of the females dorsal fin is flat and she's hiding in the top corner of the tank. I've done a 50% water change today as I'm panicking that the nitrate/nitrite is high.

I don't have a test kit as I've been taking samples to the store for free tests.

The tank is a month old and has at the minute 3 guppy females and 3 neon tetras in it.

Is there anything I can do to help the cycle along. I've not hoovered the gravel as I've read it stores the bacteria that is needed for the cycle etc.

I'm gutted another guppy is going to die.

Help.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396291023.578250.jpg last weeks levels
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396291069.061949.jpg this weeks
levels

Had a good look at the remaining guppies and 2 of the 3 remaining guppies have red gills and 1 (the one I mentioned earlier) has half a fin (left side) her tail is always closed compared to fanned out like normal.

Ordered a test kit so can do my own readings rather than having to go to shop everytime I need it checked.

Changed 25% water today.

I've read places who advised putting salt in the water. Does anyone recommend this. And another saying to put sure start in.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397148229.828130.jpg

Water levels now. Got this down by doing 1 50% water change at start then 25% water changes for 2 weeks. The levels have been steady for 2-3 days now with 1 10% water change every 2 days now.

Tank has turned the corner now.

Fish In Tank Cycling

Hello obi...

If you're cycling a tank with fish, you need hardy ones. Male Guppies aren't on the "hardy list". The female Guppies are though. Fish in tank cycling requires daily water testing with a reliable kit. You test for ammonia and nitrite, toxins that will quickly kill fish. If you have a positive test, you change 25 percent of the tank water and replace it with pure, treated tap water. You simply test every day and replace the water when needed. When several daily tests show no traces of ammonia or nitrite, the tank is cycled. The process takes about a month.

Floating plants will help filter the tank water. Drop in some individual stems of Hornwort. The more floating plants, the better.

B

Thanks bbradbury. Keeping chin up as don't want any more to die.

Got the API test kit that the store used when I was testing with them.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397151146.408506.jpg

Just tested would you change any water with the ammonia spiked slightly?

Dude that amount of Nitrite (not Nitrate) will kill a fish.
have you ever heard of prime? Amquel plus?

Which reading you talking about? The first reading was high. Last post is what it is now.

Thanks.

Tank looks to have cycled now. What should the levels be for best quality?

Agreed... o o 20-40 is fine. I'm impressed that you have the time and patience to test so much.... I just kinda guess and make sure to test for ammonia and ph. Wow

The female guppy has succumbed to her illness. On the upside one of the others has had 6 babies.

Back
Top Bottom