Guppy fish acting weird

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sierramcleodw30

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay so I have a 10 gallon tank with three guppies, and a frog.
The two colored guppies I have seem to be being aggressive with the white one(which I think is a female) she’s diving from the top to the bottom of the tank and then one is just all over her and sometimes they both seem really aggressive with her? Anyways what’s going on do any of them need to move to a different tank? I’m very very new and very inexperienced with fish. Any tips would be appreciated.

I'd switch her out with another male, or switch one of the males for a female. Females have to outnumber males or they will pester her to death.

Male Guppy has a job to do - they are live bearers, and they do their job. They are usually okay in male only groups, no female hormones, but they will follow and chase each other around.

Okay so they may all be boys according to PetSmart man. But either way two still gang up on the one for some reason. Although I know another was being aggressive because one of the means ones has tail damage

The white one is the one that’s getting “bullied”

Attachments

• 1471C6E5-FF05-494F-8A04-90C909C21187.jpg
    1471C6E5-FF05-494F-8A04-90C909C21187.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 27
Have you checked the water quality?

Often fish get aggressive if there is a problem with water quality. Which can also cause a raggedy tail. (But also getting bit by another fish.) One might look like a chomp mark, and the other, more frayed.

If you don't have a test kit, do a couple of 25% pwc one right after the other and then after a few hours or the next morning do a 30-40%.

That is to make the changes in the water quality more gradual, the difference of fresh tap and older tap water.

Make sure the temp is the same and the water is dechlorinated.

Yes the red one is the one with the messed up tail, it has gotten much better but that’s why i wanted to make sure they’re all being friendly with eachother. The blue one is the one whom bit him I actually watched it happen a few times but they got over it and now the orange one is just on the white one sooooo heavy he like tackles her and corners her it’s so strange

Do the water changes and see if they calm down to just happily chasing and not aggressively behaving.

The cleanest water quality will be safer for the fish, and allow their bodies to focus on healing.

Back
Top Bottom