Guppy fish looks like got a hump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

your bro joshi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Dear members I have two male guppies with six small mollies and in some 2days ago I noticed one of my guppy is swimming like he got a hump. Before that he was fine. He swims such it looks like its spine is broken in half. Please suggest

It appears genetic and a common problem with fancy guppies. Breeders often use a method called line breeding. Breed a male to his daughter, then his grand-daughter. There are other methods but it involves breeding closely related fish. After a few generations there is a high incidence of abnormalities. Good breeders will cull them our of the gene pool if they notice problems. I can't say that is what is wrong with your fish of course. This is why first cousins are not supposed to marry. :)

He used to swim normally but in last some days he swims like that

My daughter has a fancy guppy with the same problem. Sometimes he swims just fine. The LFS told her the weight of his tail might make his back tired.

1. High temps low kh
2. Genetic deformity through inbreeding
3. Tb
4. Improper nutrition
5. Dropsy
6. Injury

Not in order...

Try process of elimination

Its a guppy, put the thing out of its misery. Thats how they get, from old age before they die. Put it down peacefully.

Some days ago he was young. Playing nicely. How can he became old so fast?

WUT.
How does that work?

Well, spinal columns are flexible, right? The vertebrae have discs between them. Maybe when he's tired of holding his tail up, he relaxes and it all curves.

(Maybe the nice fish store lady was just making her feel better?)

I can't recall where I also read about nutrient deficiency, like vitamin D or something but you could do further reading searching.

found it - maybe feed a comprehensive vitamin enriched food, or foods which contain those vitamins and minerals necessary.

Scroll down to deficiencies diseases
Here guppies - Guppy Diseases

Back
Top Bottom