Guppy fry-Color or illness?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
My largest guppy fry,now over 2 months old nearing three,has developed a brown line on the bottom edge of her tail fin that seems to be attached-it doesnt wave in the water
There are some brown dots above it
Is this just her color reverting back to wild coloration(parents were Petsmart guppies) or is it illness?If she's reverting back I really don't want to have to stop breeding with her-she's gorgeous
Would an unrelated male keep her fry from going to wild coloration?
Or is this a diesease and if so what?I can't get pics right now
She is perfectly fine otherwise,super active and feeding.
Levels-
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
10 or so nitrate
7.6 pH
76-78 degrees

Can you get a picture? Off the top of my head, I don't know of any issues characterized by a brown fin edge, but pictures would help. :)

absolutangel04 said:
Can you get a picture? Off the top of my head, I don't know of any issues characterized by a brown fin edge, but pictures would help. :)

She's pretty hard to photo but I'll try in the morning

OK. If you have a clear breeder box, you can put her in there to take the picture. I don't want to guess anything without a picture in case I lead you astray.

absolutangel04 said:
OK. If you have a clear breeder box, you can put her in there to take the picture. I don't want to guess anything without a picture in case I lead you astray.

Alright
I do have a breeder bet
She flipped out when I stuck her in there fir a few minutes to watch closely
I'll try to get a clear pic

She is now a he! Overnight her( excuse me his) gonopodium formed and fused!

Your Guppies

Hello em...

Your water properties seem fine, in general. The nitrates seem low to me. I change half the water in my large, Fancy Guppy tanks weekly and typically have nitrates in the 20-25 ppm range. Nitrates even a little higher aren't the end of the world and are beneficial for your aquatic plants.

Aquarium fish do best in near, pure water conditions and that means large, frequent water changes. "Livebearers" will do well with a little standard aquarium added to the water change water. I add a little more than a teaspoon to every 5 gallons of my new, treated tap water.

Just a couple of thoughts to consider or not.

B

Hello em...

Your water properties seem fine, in general. The nitrates seem low to me. I change half the water in my large, Fancy Guppy tanks weekly and typically have nitrates in the 20-25 ppm range. Nitrates even a little higher aren't the end of the world and are beneficial for your aquatic plants.

Aquarium fish do best in near, pure water conditions and that means large, frequent water changes. "Livebearers" will do well with a little standard aquarium added to the water change water. I add a little more than a teaspoon to every 5 gallons of my new, treated tap water.

Just a couple of thoughts to consider or not.

B
Thanks
I've been keeping guppies for a LONG time and know about the water and all
I have cories-Translate to NO SALT
LOL

Your Guppies

Hello again em...

Interesting you don't use aquarium salt with your Corys, I've heard they're not very tolerant of it. I started putting Corys into my Guppy tanks about five years ago and they've been fine with the little salt I add. At the time, I never thought anything about the salt. I've heard the old time fish keepers, decades ago used a little kosher salt or commercial canning salt to keep the fishes' gill tissues healthy and stimulate their immune system, so I've always used it.

B

Back
Top Bottom