Guppy has finrot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

satu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I've lost two guppies recently and now a third one is sick, but this one looks different. We didn't find out what exactly the two other fish had as we thought it was internal bacteria, but the medicine didn't help and they died.

The one who's sick now isolates himself, doesn't eat too much and stays close to surface with his tail drooping down. For the first 24 hours his rail had red tips and something is eating the tail away. Now it looks that the ends are colorless and like fading away. We understood this is finrot and bought Interpret Aquarium Treatment 8 Anti Fungus & Finrot.

Here are some details of our tank:
1. Tank inhabitants: 1 male guppy, 2 female mollies and 1 coradora.

2. Tank size 21 litres.

3. Water test as of this morning: pH 7.6, Ammonia 0.1, Nitrite 0 and Nitrate 5.0.

4. Temperature: about 25 degrees Celsius.

5. Tank size/Filtration: Size about 21 litres. Filtration: In-built filter.

6. Water change amount/frequency: Water changed every 2 weeks, about 30% of the water at a time.

7. Water additives/Medications: Whenever changing the water, we put a bit of stress coat and King British Revitalizer Tonic. The medication for finrot given is Interpet Aquarium Treatment #8 Anti Fungus & Finrot.

8. We feed the fish twice a day: Once with frozen bloodworm or shrimp and the second time with Aquarian Tropical Flake Food. Also both times we give a bit of King British Catfish pellet food for the coradora (if he hasn't eaten a lot of bloodworm).

9. Any new fish added to the tank? Who and when?
We added the 2 mollies about 2 months ago.

11. The tank been in operation for about 3.5 months.

If someone thinks this could be something else than finrot, please let me know. Also what I would really like to know is if I can give salt baths to the sick guppy in addition to the medication. Can I do both or just the medicine?

Thank you,
Satu

Hello, satu. First off, it sounds like you have a bacterial problem, likely columnaris. I would get some maracyn 2, or some sort of gram negative antibiotic as soon as possible (I don't know if Maracyn 2 is available in the UK, which is where it sounds like you are from). Anti-fungal medicine will not help you much.

Secondly, what are your water parameters? Namely ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH?

HTH

Back
Top Bottom