Guppy Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaticHooper23

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I got 4 Guppies 1 male, and three female in an established 5 gallon, and i wanted to ask what is normal behavior for Guppies?

One of the females was just swimming at the top, with its head poking at the water surface, and when i came to see it a few hours later, it was swimming uncontrollably, spirally, what is this? Is it swim bladder? what else could it be and is it contagious?

Now the male is just in the middle of the tank not really moving much, but I can't see anything wrong with it, and one female is hiding behind one of my plant close to the middle too, and there is also one pregnant guppy in the corner all by itself close to the top, but isnt breathing air like the guppy that died. Is this normal?

What is normal guppy behavior, and abnormal behavior? So i may know what to look for and what to pass off as "normal."

Thanks.

Be sure to double check your water quality if all that checks out. I would just keep an eye on them and hope they settle down. Mine often hang around at the top with their noses just at the surface. I think they are wanting or expecting more food. The others may be just getting use to the tank. I often see a new fish dart around next to the glass. I also have had new fish run and hide when I put them in.

Hope this helps.

Is the one that was breathing air the one that died. I didn't see that you said one side the first time I read this. That usually means poor water quality. Do a water test an if something looks to high, I would do a 25% water change and add good conditioner for a few days.

Hope this helps and hope you don't lose another fish, but it happens sometimes. Some just don't handle the change.

I did a test earlier around 7 am, and it was Ammonia 0.25-0.50 ppm Nitrite 0 ppm and Nitrate was 20 ppm so I did a 30% Water change. Should I change the water again? It's now 10 pm.

Also, I have a pregnant guppy swimming in the corner and chasing away ever other guppy that comes near, male or female. Would it stress the fish out to do a water change or just do it anyways?

I'm doing a test right now while I'm doing my water change and ammonia is .25 nitrite 0 and nitrate 10 ph is 7.6 and now the male is starting to have symptoms the first fish that died have its all by itself right next to the water surface, whats wrong with them?

Are you using test strips or liquid tests? Strips are highly inaccurate, speaking from experience. How did you acclimate them? Check your pH too. Do you see anything on the guppies like white spots or orange spots? The female that's pregnant could simply be getting close to giving birth. When I had guppies, my female was real passive, but all fish are different. You could just have a feisty little girl.

Here are two products that may help you out. Prime I'd a tap water treatment but it can also be added into tank water to reduce ammonia. Special blend will help get the bacteria growing that breaks down harmful toxins

Attachments

• image-908686622.jpg
    image-908686622.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 55
  • image-1656951973.jpg
    image-1656951973.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 52
Back
Top Bottom